Casting numbers help omc cobra 5.0 HO motor thought 1993

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
not real sure what the question is here.... the casting number on the intake manifold starting in D3OE is a factory Ford casting number, and will be found on many Ford manifolds, not just in boats. the 5.0l designates it as a 5.0l Ford cast block. The OMC tag is relatively easy to decode using any number of online resources such as

hopefully the OP responds with what the issue is, so we can attempt to help better

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
besides being a ford 302 with a 2-barrel carb, do you have a real question? or just a photodump and run?

the high output versions were not 2-barrels, they were fuel injected motors with F40 heads and a 351 cam and 215hp

you have a lowly 2-barrel motor with 190hp

you can get parts here. https://www.crowleymarine.com/omc/oem-parts/stern-drive/1993/502apljvb

you can get a factory manual here https://outboardbooks.com/
The casting on front timing chain cover indicates it's a 79. Now by covers its suppose be a 93 omc cobra stern drive.. thing is omc didn't come out with the sterndrive til 85 correct? Roller cam?

Attachments

• 20240323_185640.jpg
    20240323_185640.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240321_171319~2.jpg
    20240321_171319~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The casting on front timing chain cover indicates it's a 79. Now by covers its suppose be a 93 omc cobra stern drive.. thing is omc didn't come out with the sterndrive til 85 correct? Roller cam?
in 79 it was a flat tappet motor. the cobra came out in 1985. someone sold you a frankenboat.

ScottinAZ

ford gets a bit funky with the casting numbers..... Take for instance the 460 for my truck. The casting number is the same right back to the LAST change made to it in the late 70's, but its numbers matching to the truck, which is a 1995..... so take that with a grain of salt.

Your 302 is likely the same way, and in your case is a flat tappet cam equipped engine, or it could be a replacement. According to your first post, the cam is definitely a flat tappet type... there are no retainers to keep the roller lifters from turning.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The odd thing is most of the motor appears to be original OMC charcoal, except that orange which isn't even a Ford color, many Chevrolets (factory) were that color in the old days. The OMC charcoal is the correct color for that vintage OMC Cobra series.
But yes what exactly are you asking here?
And I don't recall that Ford small block ever being converted to a roller cam by the factory at least, every one I have seen in pics here with the intake off was a flat tappet.

ScottinAZ

The odd thing is most of the motor appears to be original OMC charcoal, except that orange which isn't even a Ford color, many Chevrolets (factory) were that color in the old days. The OMC charcoal is the correct color for that vintage OMC Cobra series.
And I don't recall that Ford small block ever being converted to a roller cam by the factory at least, every one I have seen in pics here with the intake off was a flat tappet.

to this note, even my OMC manuals (1995 vintage) which have both the carbed and EFI versions of the Ford engines doesnt go into camshaft information with regards to types of lifter or replacement thereof..... so using that as an "original source" of information is a dead end.

Using the exploded diagrams however does show very clearly that the engine the OP has (502APRJVB) uses a flat tappet camshaft..... whether its an original or a repainted replacement, I cant say for sure, but its walking like a duck, and quacking like a duck..... (a base carbed 5.0, and not a "cobra" roller tappet engine)

The timing chain was rusty so wire wheeled put orange on notice casting was 78 there they didn't make omc cobra stern drive til 85..

ford gets a bit funky with the casting numbers..... Take for instance the 460 for my truck. The casting number is the same right back to the LAST change made to it in the late 70's, but its numbers matching to the truck, which is a 1995..... so take that with a grain of salt.

Your 302 is likely the same way, and in your case is a flat tappet cam equipped engine, or it could be a replacement. According to your first post, the cam is definitely a flat tappet type... there are no retainers to keep the roller lifters from turning.....
Ty I was trying ID block

ScottinAZ

Ty I was trying ID block
are there any other numbers cast into the block. There should be a date code cast into the block somewhere, usually 4 digits. The D9JE number is the casting number, and follows the same style of dating, but there should be a date code somewhere around. I have heard them being behind the starter, or otherwise along the oil pan rail, but being Ford could be nearly anywhere. It should be 4 digits by itself, with no other numbers..... where it has 5.0 cast into the valley, I tend to believe its a later production block, we didnt start referring to engine sizes in liters until sometime in the late 80's to early 90's.....

are there any other numbers cast into the block. There should be a date code cast into the block somewhere, usually 4 digits. The D9JE number is the casting number, and follows the same style of dating, but there should be a date code somewhere around. I have heard them being behind the starter, or otherwise along the oil pan rail, but being Ford could be nearly anywhere. It should be 4 digits by itself, with no other numbers..... where it has 5.0 cast into the valley, I tend to believe its a later production block, we didnt start referring to engine sizes in liters until sometime in the late 80's to early 90's.....
No D9J numbers this goofy triple stamp whole reason for post covers are 93. Stamp in front indicates 79 just weird im marine mechanic head casting info and codes too if I could

Attachments

• 20240321_171319~2.jpg
    20240321_171319~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240321_204123.jpg
    20240321_204123.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 0
True does say 5.0L top the block that one get past me ty . So we know it's later model block..swear it was HO motor last fall..I appreciate it