Carver 25 handling

Yamabuki

Cadet
We have just purchased a 1980 Carver 25 and it seems they are quite tender. Any tips on handling, does ballast work. thanks.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Carver 25 handling

Is this a fly-bridge model? That'll certainly amplify any roll the boat has, especially in a 25'er

I'd say it's probably the nature of the beast. Nothing wrong with a Carver, but they don't weigh a whole lot for their size and don't have an ultra-wide beam. A friend (he has long experience in all kinds of boats) with a 34' Convertible is the first to say that it's a good 'bay boat' and not a sea-going battlewagon like a Trojan. He and his wife had the bejeezus scared out of them some years ago when they got hit by a squall when running offshore. The roll was so extreme he thought they were gonna capsize.

I doubt I'd add ballast as that'll affect capacity, but you're already aware that you want to keep weight low in the boat.

My .02

Yamabuki

Cadet

We are not having any problems its just that during a trial run we realised that with 2 people up top she rolled a bit. we are on Watts Bar lake so should have no real problems although it does get a bit rough now and then, nothing like off shore though. just trying to get as much info about the boat as we can. Thanks.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

understood on the rolled a bit part .... when we moved up to a Wellcraft 26 EXCEL power cruiser it took me a while to get used to the feel of the way it would roll over in a tight turn .... after a while it got to where we didn't think about it but the butterflies were sure plentiful at first

Jim

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Being up higher will feel more tender. You will get used to it and will even learn to steer the boat to avoid any rolling.

emoney

Commander

It's probably just a "getting used to it" situation. From what type boat, if any, are you moving from?

Yamabuki

Cadet

It's probably just a "getting used to it" situation. From what type boat, if any, are you moving from?

Our other boat is a VIP deckboat (up for sale) so its poles apart from the Carver. Also
we had a 30ft Ocean in the UK which didnt have a tower so as you guys say its just being sensible and getting the feel of her.