Carpet installation in a bass boat question

basscat348

Seaman
I just purchased a 94 procraft bass boat. The boat needs carpet wich I have but the previous owner sprayed some sort of black rubberized type substance all over the deck ,lids and just about everywhere you can think of.It seems to bee a good job but I like carpet.I want to say its rhino liner or something similar but this is soft sort of.My question is will carpet glue stick to this stuff (I know its hard to answer if you havent seen it or even know what it is )? I am never taking whatever it is off so its on there for the duration.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carpet installation in a bass boat question

I'd suggest cleaning a spot with Acetone, applying some carpet glue and then sticking a small swatch of carpet on it and see what happens. If you have to use acetone to peel off the carpet then I'd say you're good to go.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Ashamed someone would do that to a nice boat like that.....I'd try to remove the stuff if you can.

Give Woodys advice a try...I'm concerned on how "flat" the carpet will lay over it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I don't know why people do dumb stuff like that, black is too hot in the summer time and I'm sure that stuff keeps your feet on fire in the heat of the summer.

I personally wouldn't try to install carpet over that junk, to me it wouldn't be a satisfactory job and would probably come back to bite you in the butt later.

The easiest way to remove that stuff would probably with a chemical stripper like CitruStrip. It isn't flammable nor does it have noxious fumes so you can use it indoors if you want to. Brush it on and let it set for a day, then come back and scrape the goo off. Try a small patch first to see how well it works. If it works well do your boat in sections or half at a time.

basscat348

Seaman

So I took some pictures of what I am dealing with today.The citrus stripper I found at home depot for like $20 a gallon I think it was or real close.That stuff works but I may have waaay to much of this stuff on there to do the whole boat.I got some glue and put a test spot of carpet down so I will see tomorrow what happens with that.I took the livewell lid off in the 1 picture and basically fillet that stuff off like cleaning a fish,this stuff is pure rubber.

2011-08-07_09-51-41_324.jpg

2011-08-07_09-51-49_338.jpg

2011-08-07_10-06-13_500.jpg

2011-08-01_13-02-34_680.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Damn shame someone would do that to a bass boat.....good luck with it.