Carpet install using DAP Weldwood contact cement

CJK440

Seaman
I am replacing all the carpet in my boat and already have the carpet and 2 gallons of weldwood contact cement.

For those who used the weldwood, how did you apply it? I know contact cement is designed to apply to both surfaces and joined after it tacks but there is no room for error once placed. I have read about others who roll it out onto the deck and quickly place the carpet on while its still wet but would be concerned about proper transfer for proper bonding.

Perhaps do the one side wet trick on the main deck and the 2 side tack and bond on the perimiters where it climbs up the sides of the hull a ways?

Thoughts??

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We don't use that product per se. We use several depending on what's available on sale. The best way I found is to cut out a template and cut the carpet slightly larger by an inch or so. Roll it to one end for floor or top to bottom for sides after removing any metal trim. Apply adhesive with a 1/4" notched trowel on 12 to 24 inches on both surfaces and roll out then smooth with a wide plastic drywall knife. Trim to size and glue and tuck in. 3M spray adhesive works great for tight spots or to start the carpet or the final areas you need to tuck tight so you don't get any glue on the good side.

I know most of us think directions are for people that don't know as much as we do but follow the directions on the product, adhesives look and smell the same but have differences for best results. Don't use a water soluble product for anything that may get wet including ceramic tiles, they sell the stuff.

Use a proper respirator to work with glues, not a dusk mask.

Last edited:

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
You using the good, original solvent-based Weldwood (smells like rubber cement), or the nerfed, doesn't work for crap, water-based, "eco-friendly," People's Republik of Kalifornia-approved, Nanny-state version?

CJK440

Seaman
DAP 273 Say "The Original" on the can. The seller won't ship it to CA so it appears to be the good stuff. Its a red can, not the green can non-flammable formula.

Old Ironmaker, I did read up on different glues and the use of a notched trowel with dedicated carpet adhesive but I would think a notched trowel for contact cement may be too much...

Slager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used the weldwood contact cement for carpet in my Sylvan. For small areas, I applied it to both surfaces with a chip brush let it tack and then attached. For the main deck, I layer the carpet out, rolled up half and then applied it to both deck and carpet backing, let tack. Then I vary carefully layed it down from the center out. I think I used a solvent resistant roller for the large areas. There are pictures and a description the link in my signature. It is near the last page. It was tricky, but if it starts going down wrong, there is limited ability to lift it back up and move as long as you haven't applied pressure yet.

Last edited:

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Use a cheep hf primer gun $15. Spray both sides let sit for 5 min and lay down. When done chuck the gun.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
The trowel is for achieving an even coat with enough product. I am sure there are trowel specs on your container, 1/4 inch seems like way to much for carpet. Especially if it is a soft back. The even coat prevents you from feeling "glue bumps" in the carpet when you walk on it. It keeps the finished product level and smooth.