carpet in the cuddy

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace the carpet in my cuddy. Would you all recommend using marine carpet with rubber backing, or just regular carpet? There won't be much water that gets in there, but I was just wondering what everyone recommends. I also am looking for a GOOD BUT REASONABLE place to buy it from. Thanks!

Bryan

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: carpet in the cuddy

Go to a carpet dealer and tell them what your doing, they'll set you up, it doesn't necessarily have to be marine carpet, there are some great quality exterior grade carpets, you could probably do the job with couple remnents.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

If it were me, and it could done without too much pain. I would install snap in carpet of the marine grade rubber backed variety. there are shops in my area that do this (atlanta ga). The old carpet is removed, a pattern is made, the crapet is then cut and the edges hemmed, followed by the carpet maker installing snaps in the floor and on the carpet. One negative of this, is when the carpet is out, it's pretty easy to step on the snaps on the floor and they hurt if you are barefoot. The advantages are many. This would be at least double in cost of a simple carpet replacement.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My old (85) Wellcraft had faux fur that lined the cuddy it came from the factory that way. I don't think you would need "marine" carpet I would try for something a bit softer than most of the indoor/outdoor carpets trend to be. The snap in would be nice but it would be expensive..