Carolina Skiff JVX

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice
Any feedback on this new offering?

It looks like it'll fit my needs just right. I'm thinking the 18 SC model. I like that layout best.

My one question: how will the semi-V treat me in some chop? I don't go out in really snotty stuff but I'd prefer not to get beat to pieces if the Sound kicks up a bit.

Is the semi-V a big improvement in that area over a totally flat bottom?

I'm also thinking a Rude E-tech 60 on it to save weight. It'll mainly go near-shore (bays, harbors, etc) and in some freshwater lakes.

Any thoughts on this setup. I'm trying not to botch my first attempt at owning a boat. Thanks :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carolina Skiff JVX

semi v will ride better. e 60 sound great.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Ask for a demo ride. Or, at the very least, make the deal "breakable" if your sea trial on delivery does not go well. My 17' aluminum bass boat had a 60. For a bigger, heavier fiberglass boat I would want a bigger motor than a 60.

Kelly

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I'm going to try to get a sea trial beforehand (though getting one in Feb. in New England might be tough). I really do like the boat and am trying to get as much info as possible. I've also looked at Key West, Mako and a few bay type boats. The CS JVX seems to be the best compromise.

As for power, the JVX weighs in at 750 pounds I believe and 17'9, which is why I thought 60 horse would be more than adequate, but correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'm relatively new to all this.

any other thoughts would be appreciated.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, I stand corrected on the HP. And very surprised that the max is only 75 !!!

Kelly

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the input guys, this is all very helpful.

I think the JVX is the best "compromise" I can find. I'll rig it up with FF, trolling motor, the works, and the smart tabs. I like the sem-V, and I think it'll suit my nearshore saltwater needs and freshwater fishing well. And we'll see what happens when a chop picks up :)

Is there anything else I should check on about CS or this model in particular?

I've been trying to find someone who owns one, but it is a new model.

Keep the suggestions coming.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I like the Etec 60 I think it is the most efficient per hp of the 40,50,60 series.
At 240 lbs not bad as todays motors go.It produces GPH ratings only slightly higher than the 50 on similar applications.
The 75 is 320lbs 80 lbs defference is pretty signifigant on that weight boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't have the numbers but several years ago we went to the Louisiana coast and fished the brackish bays. Boat was a Carolina skiff of about 16' to 18' and engine was a Merc 60. Very nice rig for the waters. Very stable, lots of room, planed out fast and the 60 moved it right along.....no instruments so it was just a gut feel. One of the nice things about the 60 was that it used the 10" prop vs the 13" of higher hp engines, so hole shots were less damaging to the prop beins it was smaller.

Mark

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

cool stuff.

Do you guys think I'll get pounded in rough seas with the JVX?

I'm trying to set up a sea trial.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

There's rough and then there's rough. Plus different (age) folks can take a different degree of pounding (excitement?). Which is why the demo is an excellent step ....

al_e._gator

Cadet

There's a Carolina Skiff specific website you should check out. carolinaskiffowner.com There is only one JVX owner posting so far and he has been beset by rigging issues but he should give you an honest opinion of the hull.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

As I said, I did not go to the site to see which model number was which, but you can't expect a flats (shallow water running hull) to tolerate open water. They weren't made for it.

Buttttttttttttt there is a lot that you can do to mitigate the problems of open water with proper preparation and seamanship.

Mark

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Mark that makes a lot of sense.

For what it's worth, the model CS I am looking at has a "semi-vee". I guess it also depends on your definition of open water.

Will I always be headed out on the water in flat conditions? Absolutely not. But I also don't plan on being out there in 3 foot chop either.

I just want a good fishing boat that's relatively simple and has lots of room that can handle the Sound on relatively calm days and can go just as well to freshwater lakes.

I am open to any and all suggestions :)

al_e._gator

Cadet

Hey tashasdaddy,

Sorry to break the forum rules with that direct link but I just followed KCook's example. There are direct links in his post at the thread he linked to in the post below. Since he had three outside direct links in the post I thought it was OK.

Here is a link to another thread that will broaden your search to other sources -

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=192777

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I know how to cheat. That was an older post. Since that post was made, the rules on hot links have changed. However (and this is where my cheat comes in) the mods have not plowed back through all the old posts to remove the old hot links.

Winky, winky

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was very interested in a JVX16CC for river fishing. No doubt the semi-v would help with some chop but with a flat bottom it will pound you even in the river if its choppy. I ended up with a Key West 1520CC with a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke for just a little more. It handles the chop and overall is a much better boat.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

The semi-V will help somewhat, but you have to take into consideration the low weight of the hull. The V needs weight to slice. I just sold my 24' DLX which I took into Chesapeake Bay often in up to 2 footers. Yes, it beat ya up, but to me that was half the fun. You really need to test one first. I loved mine due to the room, it's un-sinkability, was low weight and it was cheap (<5k new). A 60hp will be great. My 24' was overpowered with a 115 rude. CSs don't need a lot of power. They weigh so little that you never really "come up on plane" because you never sank down to begin with.

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

How is he Key West 1520 CC?

I ask because that's actually the other boat I'm considering heavily. It seems like a smart choice all around, I'd probably just go up to the 17 footer.

Scout seemed to make a nice boat as well.

I went down to the Jersey show this past weekend. The 08 BW Montauks are nice, but I just can't justify the price. They ain't that good.

I liked the key west. It seemed like a simple, well-built boat...good for fishing.

CS was there as well, but no JVX or DLV, so it didn't really help.

Key West and CS are at the top of the list right now. Sea Hunt, Scout, Sea Pro, Maycraft, and Sailfish are still in the mix.

Any feedback on any of these brands, especially in the 15-17 foot range, would be terrific.