Carburetor Fuel Line

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
I am about to order my new Edelbrock 1410 750 cfm marine carb and performer eps manifold. My question is this, the existing SS fuel line on the Q-jet is not going to match up to the Edelbrock. Can I use the Summit braided line kit here to go from the pump to the carb? Do I need to do something else to stay USCG approved like new SS hard tubing?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Carburetor Fuel Line

I would suggest buying a length of straight 3/8" fuel line from your local auto parts store and using a tubing bender to make your own. Very inexpensive and it keeps to the regs. The other option would be to use marine type A1 rubber hose. I do not believe the braided line you link to would be coast guard approved.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

type A1 with clamps is not USCG approved on the pressure side of the pump.
some braided lines, seirra makes a few, are flexable and USCG approved for the pressure side.
or custom bend your own from steel tubing.
I like marine rated flx line :).
suxs being lazy.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the regs are confusing and may have changed, when I last looked type a1 with clamps for INBOARD and I/O with an engine cover it was not acceptable, and type B2 was not acceptable for under deck use.
different chapter I think.
may try to look it up again.
I can tell you the regulations change depending on under deck, above deck, in a enclosed engine box or an open such as an outboard.
now we also have the EPA stepped in this year with yet another hose requirement.
however its only applicable to new product installed after jan 1st 2009.
kinda like a complete dry exhaust, regulations differ depending on engine box configuration.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I know what you mean about confusing. :) But the reg quoted above is in the section that relates to all gasoline engines, except outboards. I was surprised because I too had always heard and said that the line had to be metal. Heck - I still only use metal. But the A1 is allowed.

As a side note, I had always heard it had to be double clamped. Also not true. The barb fitting simply has to have a bead, a flare or series of grooves.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help. I will run a complete new steel line if I have to. What I did order not knowing if I could use it yet (only $19) was a cromed steel line with a banjo fitting at the carb . I figure if I can use it , it should bring me up to about the SS merccruiser line I have now. I can just get a flair fitting and cut and flair the original to meet it.

Any thoughts?