carburator - what is this tube?

msargius

Seaman
Hi all again....I have this tube that connects the carburator to the heat tube in the exhaust manifold... I tried to find anything about it in the manual or by google... The problem it is snapped from where it goes in the exhaust.

100_2236small.jpg

Anyway how could I change it? what is it for? what type and where to get it from?

Thanks everyone.

tom135

Seaman Apprentice
Re: carburator - what is this tube?

I believe it supplies heat to the bimetalic coil in the choke. This is one of the ways to operate the auto choke. The other common way is two wires connected to the choke cover, a ground, and a power heating the spring.

Cheers

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's the heat tube that goes from the choke stove to the choke...
Either Fix it, or replace it...

msargius

Seaman

I would love to replace it. Can I get it from auto repair stores...I have tools to flare new one and bend it no problem, I just can't find it in marine web sites, ie. I went to boats.net looked on every diagram for part replacement, but they don't list it.

Thanks everyone for helping me out

ziggy

Admiral

Can I get it from auto repair stores...I have tools to flare new one and bend it no problem
that's what i did on my last boat when the pipe rusted out. cut, bend and flare to fit. think i just used some break line... all that tube is doing is routing hot air to the choke coil as stated above. it is a necessary item..

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Either a chunk of brakeline, or a chunk of copper tubing will work...

cr2k

Captain

NAPA sells a choke tube replacement kit for I think around $10 or $15.

msargius

Seaman

cr2k thanks for the tip...unfortunatly I got a break line before I see your reply.

Well the break line came about the same size as the heat tube in the manifold. Unless I sand it a little bit, I will not be able to inserted into the tube. I will beleive that is ok. My other question will be how far does it need to go in?

Thanks everyone....you guys are great help

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It tranfers Heat,+ little else...

I'd probably try to clearance the existing hole with a drill,+ sand the new tubing down abit to get a fit..
It ain't gotta be Deep, just In there...

msargius

Seaman

Ayuh,... It tranfers Heat,+ little else...

I'd probably try to clearance the existing hole with a drill,+ sand the new tubing down abit to get a fit..
It ain't gotta be Deep, just In there...

Thanks Bond-o

ziggy

Admiral

a couple of pics of that tube.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

been a while since i did mine. but pretty sure i didn't drill down to deep into the manifold. enough to stick the tube in fairly solid was all. mine had rusted off at the top of the manifold flush if i remember right. i just drilled the hole i needed for the new tube whatever dia it was snugly into the new hole.
that's not the manifold that had the heat tube mod done to it. that one just leaks.. it is a 75 165hp L6 though..