carb tuning on a 50 merc blue band?

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i took my boat to the launch today, i rebuilt the carbs earlier this week, and after a little tweaking and sealing of leaks at the dock, she runs smooth, banging good on all 4

but i find it idles pretty high just sitting in neutral. when i drop it into gear, the idle goes down with the load on the motor, it runs good thru the rpm range to wot, but when i go back to neutral it just seems like an abnormally high idle.

when i rebuilt the carbs i set the fuel air mix screw at 2 turns out and the throttle cable is adjusted to where the control bar is as low throttle it can get, i noticed if i pulled the advance rod towards the front of the motor, it would idle down nicely, but when i let it go, goes right back to a high idle

so whats wrong? is it running too lean? how do i idle it down some? or should i? should i just leave it? am i paranoid? am i asking too many questions? anybody got any suggestions? do i need to post pictures? would a video help?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb tuning on a 50 merc blue band?

The throttle cable should push the throttle closed. If it does not, adjust it until it does. MerControl needs to be in neutral with the cold start lever down.