Carb troubles

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Well, i have been trying to bring the engines in my boat back to life this year, and have been having some fuel supply issues, ironically each engine has the opposite issue. Our port engine is getting way too much fuel and flooding over between the carb and flame arrestor and running down the side of the carb. The starboard engine is not getting any fuel.

I pulled the fuel lines off the carbs and cranked the engines, both fuel pumps are working fine and lots of fuel came squirting out the hoses.

Rochester 4 barrel carbs on 1979 Merc 255 MIE's

HELP! should i rebuild the carbs? or is there something else i can try first?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carb troubles

is it hard to do yourself? or should i get it done? what should i expect to pay to get it done?

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like both needle/seat assemblies are bad; one stuck open, the other closed. Rebuild kits are cheap, $20-30ea. Rebuild kit should come with instructions, they're relatively easy to rebuild.
To have them done, I'm guessing $150-200ea.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the link, im going to call around tomorrow and get quotes and prices on rebuild kits and decide which path i want to take...

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, i decided to dive in head first, watched those vids and saw that it cant be that hard, opened the one up that gave me no fuel, and it was nasty, also the little rods that go into the jets(whatever they are called) where jammed down, and that assembly wasnt moving up and down like it should...

didnt have any kits with me, but the gaskets faired well, and i was able to successfully rebuild it just with cleaning it out, engine purs like a kitten now! :D

unfortunately the gasket tore on the second one, so i am going to grab a rebuild kits for $24 tomorrow and finish the second off.