Carb restrictor plate removal..More power?

Jolie Lynn

Seaman
Just curious,
I have a 1982 Bayliner capri 1950 with Volvo AQ125A, 270 leg and 14X19 prop and wondered if I could get a little more power out of her safely by removing the restrictor plate under the carb. I have done just about everything to get the engine running smooth and reliable. The boat will get to 4500 RPM at 32 MPH with only myself on board. The max RPM is 5000 and max cruise is 4400-4700. Not sure if a lesser pitch prop will help top end...still have wiggle room on RPM's.
Thank you

Jolie Lynn

Seaman
Re: Carb restrictor plate removal..More power?

P.S. sorry the max RPM for this engine is 4800 :0

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Is it REALLY a restrictor, or just a flange adapter???

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

that prop seems a bit too much for your setup, try a 14x17. That is alot of boat for the AQ125...

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

Not sure but think it is a restrictor because it covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of the throat and is directional (has arrow to point fwd) I have thought about using my 18 pitch prop which would help the rpms get to limit. Thanks 4 responding

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you're reaching 4500rpm, dropping an inch or two in pitch will increase the rpm, but doubtful it'll increase your speed. Thats an aweful lot of boat for a small engine to push.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure but think it is a restrictor because it covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of the throat and is directional (has arrow to point fwd) .....
Covering some of the intake manifold is of no consequence as long as the carb openings are not covered.

With the carb upside down, place the plate over it.
Are the throttle butterflies showing fully? Then there's no restriction.