carb rebuild ???

nonstopgo68

Seaman
i have a 86 johnson 40 hp j40elcde and have read all the posts for carb rebuild and same for manual.
i really dont see anything other than the high speed and low speed jets and the float bowl ,without removing the core plugs . it says to diassemble carb.but how far ?
can i put it in the carb solution without taking it all the way apart. (after removing the plactic parts visible of course)
the kit came with a bunch of o-rings and gaskets, so are these needed?
any help with this would greatly appreciated , thx in advance .

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: carb rebuild ???

The idea here as far as I know, is to completely break down the carb into it's individual parts, soak them and clean them and replace all the orings and gaskets so that the passages are completely clear and the seals are brand new. I can't envision a way to clean a carb without taking it completely apart.

nonstopgo68

Seaman

but could you shed some light on how to take it apart , i really cant see how it would break down any further . the kit came with another gasket that i cant see where it would go . may be for another carb . i have rebuilt carbs before but i had step by step and good pics .thx again

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

unless the shafts are wobblely, just remove the jets, you can clean the idle ports behind the core plug from inside the throat motor side with a small paper clip, the wash out.

nonstopgo68

Seaman

ok cool , i got it soaking now . after really looking at it i see there is no way to take it apart further unless the butterflies or linkage. and i can see all the orifices to be cleaned . thx again you guys . no way i could complete this project without this site or yalls input .