Carb rebuild problem(1100ss)HELP!

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just rebuilt my carbs on a 67 1100ss Merc,the problem is now when I squeeze the bulb gas squirts out the top carb,it acts like its flooded,or the floats are stuck,I didnt touch the high speed needle,but I did do the idle needle , turned it in than backed it off 3/4 turn as instructions said,now the motor wont run,gas everywhere, any thoughts would help.<br />Tkanks Dan

MrWick

Seaman
Re: Carb rebuild problem(1100ss)HELP!

I would say you need to look at the float and the needle/seat again in that carb.Where is the gas running out,at the top of the carb,out the throat or out the bottom.I had all 3 of my carbs leaking out the bottom,there is a brass/copper plug in the bottom of the carbs right below the throat and there was no sealant on the threads.When I rebuilt mine I put sealant on those threads and they no longer leak.......

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it squirts out the little copper pipe pointing towards the front,yes i saw gas comming from the screws,would that keep it from running?

MrWick

Seaman

I don't think leaking from those plugs will keep it from running.The copper tubes in the throat are the main jets I believe and I can't think of anything other than the float not shutting of the gas supply to the carb when the bowl fills up.Are all the fuel lines from carb to carb and from the choke asm going to the correct places....

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Everything went off and on real easy,nothing crossed,thats why im so confused ,I've rebuilt lots of carbs (Holleys,Carters,Rods.,)so its not new to me :confused: :confused: :confused:

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TooMany: Maybe you have it fixed already, but, here are some thoughts. The float thing has already been recommended. It has a stuck or maladjusted float or non-sealing valve where it's running over. There's a seal on each idle mix valve-- or should be!<br />For starting out, set the idle mix needles at 1 3/4 turns (not 3/4 turn) from seated. Set each carb individually at the rich end of peak idle speed plateau. Hope it works out soon for you. :cool: