Carb Rebuild - J140TXCOS V4

DocShock

Cadet
First time rebuilding the carbs on my 1985 Johnson 140 J140TXCOS.

Found a couple kits:
Sierra 18-7220 on iboats, no float $16
Mallory 9-37110 $16 (no float)

OMC 0396676 $27.99 - does not say if it comes with a float, I assume for that much more it would?
Any input as to which kit to go with?
Anyone know if the OMC kit comes with a float?
Any tips for this particular model?
Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb Rebuild - Which kit to use?

Do you really need the floats ???

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

OMC comes with the float, soft plug's, and every thing you need.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey doc, the best float you could get may be what's on it now that's why so many ask, "do you really need a float?" I'd go on efurther and ask do you really need a carb kit? Why not just a gasket set?

As for kits, OEM is always a good choice (always more expensive because of the name) but the other kits are going to give you what the spec calls for anyway. If Sierra is cheaper I'd go with it. Gaskets are gaskets (for the most part), the rest is needle and seat, perhaps a new idle screw, jets etc... That stuff doesn't typically go bad unless corroded, fouled or mutilated for some reason.

Good luck.

DocShock

Cadet

Yeah, the OMC does come with the float, and the float is about $10...
I just had read it was a good idea that since you have it apart anyhow, a good idea to change the float as well...
I haven't pulled them apart yet.
All the kits come with gaskets, idle and/or jet, not sure which one or both...
I don't thing anything corroded or mutilated, it just not getting to WOT well, and as in another post of mine, the timer base is "sticky" due to probably melted insulation from the stator, i suspect, so I gotta pull the flywheel and clean it up under there too.
I have been running daily with seafoam added to about 15 gal of gas in the boat to try and clean them that way.
A guy told me to use a plastic spare gas can and add a whole bottle of seafoam, and a gal. or so of gas/oil mix and run that through it 15 min, let it sit and repeat until its gone and that is supposed to clean the jets/carbs?
Any negatives to doing this ie. rotting gaskets or other damage??
Thanks.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Seafoam will not clean a dirty carb for you, it will simply keep a clean one clean. It may improve it a little, but it's not going to eliminate the problem.
Best thing to do is rebuild them with new kits, and then make sure you keep the fuel clean. Fuel/water separator, inline glass filter also if you want it to watch for debris. I myself have both of those as well as the factory under hood filter. I also mix Sta-Bil in all my fuel, to keep it from becoming old and causing a problem.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That sounds more like a decarb procedure than carb cleaning procedure. From what I understand....SeaFoam is great at keeping clean carbs clean. The only real way to clean a dirty carb is to disassemble it and really clean it.

EDIT: HybridMX6 beat me to it :)

DocShock

Cadet

Yep, have inline filter, water seperator and mix sta-bil... added seafoam as this is a new-to-me motor i picked up w/ less than 100 hrs on it, but had not been ran in a while...
What about the floats?? Inspect them first before spending the $40 for 4? Or just buy the OMC kits with everything and have new to start with?

I figured as much as to the concentrated seafoam... would be nice, though, ehh?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I highly recommend you go with the OEM kits for these carbs as I have had several problems with the Serria kits on the plastic body carbs as material is to thin. I have used the Mallory kits in other carbs and the quality is very high compaired to Serria.

DocShock

Cadet

Great, thanks for the input..
What does anyone think about the floats? When do you know if they need to be replaced? The omc kit only comes with the float, the mallory kit does not (save $10 a carb...).
Thanks (and these re not plastic body carbs btw)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

From my experience, there is only one reason you ever need to replace a float, if they have a hole in them. You can easily tell if they do, as they will have fluid (gas) in them. When you remove the float, shake it next your ear. If you hear fluid, replace it, if not, it's a perfectly working float.

It is like a light switch, it works until it doesn't. You will know if a float has a hole and it getting fluid in it, since it will flood an otherwise good carb really badly when that happens.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb Rebuild - When to replace the FLOATS?

According to BRP parts for serial number & the parts kits you provided, you have the 4 one barrel plastic carbs...

DocShock

Cadet

According to BRP parts for serial number & the parts kits you provided, you have the 4 one barrel plastic carbs...

Fazt, my mistake. I was going off of my memory, and was thinking of the mounting plate/spacer the two carbs bolt to. They absolutely are black plastic one barrel carbs. Thanks for the tip, though, I would have gone with the mallory over sierra. I did find the OMC kit with float for only $21 at boatparts.com:
http://www.boats.net/HostedStore.La...ail.lasso&ID=c7fca621cb8bbcbd8a8a32761ccca19f

I am going to go with those kits, and just hang onto the floats for the future...