Carb problem??

bbgun24

Seaman
Hello all,

I have a 1990 4.3L holley 4 bbl with the spitfire electronic ignition. I can not get the boat to idle without stalling. The boat will start right up with no problems and revs up then slowly stalls out. If I try and adjust the idle screw it does nothing. When I look down the carb I can see gas sitting on top of the secondary butterflies?? Im pretty sure that isnt normal. I have an electric fuel pump that I installed last year and it ran fine all year. I have rebuilt the carb but I am still leaning towards it being a carb issue. I pulled the plugs and they are very black. Could there be something in the carb I am missing?? Please let me know your thoughts as I am running out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carb problem??

so in the carb are 2 needle and seats, the needle sits in the seat and with the proper float level set, makes sure the BOWL doesnt over flow and doesnt run dry. If the needle is damaged ( even the eye cant see without help sometimes ) or if there's gunk in there it wont close properly and it will... overflow.

the holley is nice that you can service it without removing it..

read up on how to set the fuel hight in the bowls. 4 screws also takes off each bowl.. nice and easy.

If your handy do some reading, also I had a friend use Sierra Gaskets and they didnt work properly but
the OEM Holley ones did.

cr2k

Captain

You could also have a plugged up exhaust manifold or riser. That would cause the same symptoms. Engine info would be helpful.

bbgun24

Seaman

It is a 1990 OMC 4.3L w/ a cobra outdrive. After running it in the driveway last night I noticed a black "exhuast "spot on the ground underneath where the exhaust exits the boat. Im guessing this is coming from getting to much fuel??

bbgun24

Seaman

Kainon, you were dead on. I pulled out the needle and seats and one of the seats had a piece of O-ring stuck in it. Removed that piece, replaced the spark plugs and the thing is running great. At least in the driveway. Out for the real test tomorrow. Thanks for the tips.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

your very welcome, glad I could help.

now where did the peice come from?? ??

your sure it was a peice of o-ring? hm.

wonder if its a peice of the oring in the filter section if the carb still has its filter.

bbgun24

Seaman

The piece of Oring came from the oring that goes around the fuel line that runs between the two float bowls. You can see on the oring that I must have pinched it when I rebuilt it last summer.