Carb or Shift Control?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
The shifter on my Merc 125 gives very little power until I've moved it quite a ways forward, then WHAM it takes me to 4000 RPM.

I like to pull tubers at about 4200 RPM. But then, the shifter begins to slowly slide back, and before I realize what's happened I'm down to 3200 RPM.

In addition, I have real trouble going slow enough in a no-wake zone. Yet, it's tricky to get it into gear without stalling. Is this a shifter problem, a carb problem, or both?

It's a Quicksilver single lever unit, 1997-98. Anybody know if there's an adjustment I should/can make, here, for these two problems?

Thanks,

Dave

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Carb or Shift Control?

4 cyl?

The 2 + 2 design requires carbs, accelerator pump and injectors to be clean, the adjustment, link and synch, of carbs, accelerator pump, and ignition timing MUST BE adjusted exactly as spelled out in the factory service manual.

The motor idles and runs at low speeds on only the top 2 cyls.

As the throttle is opened, the accelerator pump squirts fuel thru the injectors into the lower cyls to begin firing, as airflow thru the carbs increases, fuel is drawn into the lower cyls to continue making power.

Once the carbs, accelerator pump, and ignition timing are set accordin to the manuall, the transistion from 2 to 4 cyls is almost undetectable.