Carb Crud?

jobrown

Seaman
Rebuilt the old 305 heads and such, got the timing reset, but just couldnt get fuel... pulled the top of the carb off and well... nasty.

Gooey, waxy nastyness. I try to stay away from ethanol gas, but this definitely looks suspect.

Got the rebuild kit from napa but Id hate to clean and rebuild just to have it gum up again.

Going to pull the fuel sending unit to peer into the tank and see if theres anymore of this stuff. I got plenty of stabil in the tank last fall but never got to crank it as there was water in the motor that had me a lot more worried at the time.

Attachments

• photo261020.JPG
    photo261020.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261021.JPG
    photo261021.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261022.JPG
    photo261022.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Run the engine on the starter with the fuel line pumping into a container. If you have the same coming out of the fuel line gotta pull the tank and clean it all out.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Looks like water in there. Definitely need to drain the tank, change the filter/separater.

jobrown

Seaman
I think I have 15-20 gallons of fuel left from last season... thats a lot to get rid of!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think I have 15-20 gallons of fuel left from last season... thats a lot to get rid of!

Remove sending unit. Tilt bow of the boat up and siphon the water off the bottom of the fuel tank. Fill the tank with 93 octane and go boating.

NHGuy

Captain
You don't need the high octane. But definitely get the bottom of the tank siphoned out. Then pump a little more fuel into a clear container, let it settle for a good while and check it again. No sense clogging up a repaired carburetor. Make sure to put on a fresh fuel water separator.
If your fuel lines are old, brittle or tired now is a great time to replace them. And don't forget to check your tank vent, fill hose, and anti siphon valve.
If you do those couple of extra steps you will have completely gone through your fuel system except for the pump which we already know works.