Carb adjustment

Meaux

Seaman
Hi Guys,<br /><br /> I have a 1963 Johnson 40 hp motor <br />Model RDS 25D. It starts great, runs smooth, but I don't think it is turning up to proper rpms at wot. Can someone out there walk me through the proper carb adjustments?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Meaux

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carb adjustment

Maybe Joe Reeve's explanation of carb adjustments will help. My problem was a little different than yours, but it really helped me. I posted back in May on this particular board, and I think the title was "will only idle in choke" Try to search that title and find that old post maybe it will help. Good luck

CATransplant

Admiral

You say it runs smoothly. I can't remember if the 1963 is a fixed jet for the high speed. Do you have a high speed adjustment knob?<br /><br />If so, then go out with someone and run at WOT. A little bit at a time, turn the high speed knob slightly toward lean, then wait a few seconds for the change to take effect. At the point where the engine begins to run rough, back the mixture setting off to more rich a little until the engine runs smoothly again. <br /><br />If you don't have a high speed knob, then you have a fixed jet. If the engine's running smoothly at WOT, there's not much to do.<br /><br />As for turning to the proper RPM's that is more likely an issue of setup than anything else. To work with this, you'll need a tachometer. One of the inexpensive tiny tachs will work just fine for this. To determine speeds, a boat speedo is fine, but a GPS unit that can show speed is more accurate.<br /><br />Your engine is rated at 4500 rpm, unlike the more modern engines that are designed to run closer to 6000 rpm. Some may think that yours, too, should run faster. I'm of the opposite school, and think you should be aiming for that 4500 rpm maximum.<br /><br />Prop size is one factor. Trim and motor height is another. As a starting point, try to have the motor's anti-ventilation plate even with the bottom of the boat. If it's a little higher, that's OK, too.<br /><br />From there, experiment with the tilt positions of the outboard. Start with the position that's closest to the transom, then experiment with moving it out one pin at a time, testing each with a WOT run. You're looking for a balance between a good hole shot and maximum speed. If the boat starts porpoising, move the thing back in toward the transom.<br /><br />Once you've peaked out your performance with position and trim, if you're still not hitting that 4500 rpm mark, then you may want to experiment with prop pitch. Lower pitches will raise RPM. Higher will decrease it. That's the general rule.<br /><br />Of course, with that older pin-drive engine, you'll be a little limited in your prop options. Us Big Twin owners are a forgotten breed, pretty much, by prop manufacturers.<br /><br />But, without a tach, all of this is speculation.

CATransplant

Admiral

Still no tachometer? Take along a portable musical keyboard. 4500 RPM on your 40 hp will produce the note D two octaves below middle C.<br /><br />That may sound funny, but it works just fine. There are lots of overtones in the sound of an outboard, but the fundamental tone it produces is very close to the musical note D.<br /><br />Maybe I'll do a chart one of these days comparing RPMs with musical notes. It would be useful, perhaps, especially to folks with smaller or old outboards where a tach isn't probably in the cards.<br /><br />I know the D thing because I have a similar motor with the same WOT rpm range, so I figured it out for my own motor.

Meaux

Seaman

Thanks Guys for the info<br /><br /> I'll try your suggestions. Next trip, I'll take along the wife-mate. She'll know what a musical D is. For me, I can't carry a tune in bucket. 4500 rpm I can understand.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Meaux