Carb additive/cleaner

I'm still trying to resolve my stalling/low rpm problem on my 1981 Mercury 50hp, but I had an additional/related question. If I decide that this is a fuel problem, is there something I can run through the carbs to clean them? They were rebuilt last season and its not been run that much. I hate to have to tear them apart.

AllAboard

Seaman
Re: Carb additive/cleaner

Seafoam is a good cleaner when used as directed but if the jets are clogged, it's time for a teardown and rebuild. You can find Seafoam @ auto parts stores or Wal-Mart.

Berryman's B-12 is pretty good also and is cheaper than Seafoam. I have used Seafoam for years although I'm new to the boating industry. Good luck.

Is it best to get the spray seafoam for the carbs or just run it through the tank?

j_martin

Admiral

Is it best to get the spray seafoam for the carbs or just run it through the tank?

It's best to service the carbs and other fuel system components properly. Gas additives and spray stuff may or may not work, and if they work it's usually just enough to get by, setting you up for a lean-out and major engine damage later.

hope it helps
John