Car won’t start. One click

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Older Italian car. Fiat. New battery. I turn the key. Hear one click from the engine compartment. Then nothing. If I fiddle with the ground the power comes back till I try to start it again then one click and turn nothing. Thanks for any advice.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Call Tony.

If this isn't a text book case of bad ground(s), then I ever heard of a bad ground connection, even with a new battery. Start cleaning all connections until you get the stamp of approval from your MIL.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
if this isn't a text book case of bad ground(s), then I ever heard of a bad ground connection, even with a new battery. Start cleaning all connections until you get the stamp of approval from your MIL.

This^^^^. After cleaning all the connections make sure the connections are tight. Especially the battery terminal connections.

ezbtr

Commander
Call Tony.

If this isn't a text book case of bad ground(s), then I ever heard of a bad ground connection, even with a new battery. Start cleaning all connections until you get the stamp of approval from your MIL.
yup, you stole my words ;)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
A friend had an older Alpha romeo with exact issue.It was traced to a rusty ground.Grind off all rust on any grounds .All fresh surfaces and reattach and apply a coating of dielectric grease between all freshly cleaned surfaces..Charlie

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Agree. Sounds like a bad ground.
Disconnect and clean all connections like shiny new. Positive and negative.
Smear all surfaces with di-electric grease or what I use...Kopr-Shield made by T&B, then reassemble.

Also check the condition of the battery cables. Corrosion can migrate from the battery posts through the copper, under the insulation.
Take a good look near the ends of the cables. See if they look bulged, or the insulation looks melted.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
after all the connections are clean, shiny and your MIL can eat off them...... then seal them with marine electrical varnish

DeepCMark58A

Commander
A Fiat, a refugee from a junkyard. Look at the bright side with the car not running the transmission won't fail.