Can't seem to find many used OUTBOARD open bow boats ...

thumpar

Admiral
I think it would be the opposite. Lack of usable space (and the heavy weight) is the biggest drawback with a small i/o boat. I think I'd have to get a 20' i/o to ahve the same space as our old Larson 170 o/b.

I disagree about "usable" space. There may be more floor space but I have a 3'X8' sundeck and a 8.5' swim platform. I also don't need a contraption to tow with. You don't get that with an outboard.

NYBo

Admiral
Interesting reading on here as I am quite interested in why so many boaters require such high horsepower motors. Now I am an old guy, growing up when a 25hp on a 16' Lyman was king, however in not to distant past I had an 18' with a 70 hp OB that held my family of 5 and could easily pull two skiers or tubers without a hitch. Topped out at 34 mph and my current 22' has a 140 hp that tops out at 34 as well. It is a rare day when it is calm enough to run WOT. So I guess my question is why on earth would someone want to feed a 150hp on an 18' runabout when you probably will never get the chance to use all that hp? Just curious here!
I'm in your camp on this; my boat tops out around 35 MPH, and I'm satisfied with that. But hey, to each his/her own!