can't get motor to crank

drum23

Seaman Apprentice
I've been having an intermittant problem with the motor not starting the past few months. I thought at first, the bendix gear was getting stuck, but after spraying wd-40 numerous times on the shaft, it's more than that. So, I started trying to follow the "outboard won't start" FAQ last night.

My battery is new and has been load tested. I tested both terminals (big and small) on the soleniod, they are getting 12V. Next, i took off the starter and cleaned the starter terminal (it had some corrosion on it). I reattached everything, and then I tested the yellow wire on the starter, and also got 12V.

Now when I turn the key, the soleniod doesn't click. Until today, the motor would start on the first or second pull of the rope. When i tried to pull start the motor today, the rope won't pull out, like its stuck on something. Whats with the rope not pulling, and is the ignition switch the next thing to test? And how do I do that?

Laddies

Banned
Re: can't get motor to crank

There are many different Mercury engines what is yours

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

It's an electric start with remote control 25E

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like you have two issues,

1 the starter will not work

2, engine cant be pull started.

Lets start with the easy part. #2. More than likey the engine is on a compression stroke, making it hard to turn the engine. If thats the case and you cant get it to budge pull the plugs to ease the compression, turn the engine a bit and put the plugs back in. DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!

Now for problem #1.

We need more info. Does the starter hit and engage but not turn? does the starter click? Do you hear anything? Does the bendix spin wildly?

Basics. The starter motor just sits there. The solenoid is the brains. 12v on the big cable runs from the battery to the solenoid all the time. Another big cable runs from the solenoid to the starter motor. A small wire runs from the ignition switch to the solenoid. When you signal the solenoid by turning the key it then turns on and takes power from the live big cable and sends it to the starter motor.

The starter motor then turns. The bendix ramps the pinion gear on the starter up and allows it to engage the flywheel.

Now you may have 12v as you have tested but that doesnt tell you amps. 12volts isnt enough, you need to know if you are passing the amps to the starter motor. That cant be tested with a some multimeters. Some clamp on style multimeters can be clamped over the cable and register high amps.

Disconnect the little wire off the solenoid for 12v when the key is turned to crank. If nothing is there, then you need to check that circuit. If you do have 12v there you next need to see if 12v is on the short big cable between the solenoid and starter. If 12v is not coming out of the solenoid then you have a bad solenoid. If it is then its either a bad starter or not enough amps passing through to the starter.

Now if you are getting all that listed above, it could be tarnish on the starter motor brushes/armiture. Electric motors that sit and are not used for a while (like a boat motor starter over winter months) then the tarnish that builds up on the starter brushes/armiture could prevent the 12v from passing from brush to armiture. By turning the starter motor a bit could allow the energy to pass through the brush to armiture. You cannot turn the starter motor by the starter gear because of the bendix. That said you have to remove the starter and turn the motor by hand.

Hope this helps.

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

I guess i didn't quite understand the concepts in the FAQ that i was reading before. your explanation helps some. Which is the correct direction to turn the engine. also, the starter would click, and usually the shaft would spin slowly, but the bendix wouldn't go up (most of the time). There were times when i would turn the key, and nothing at all would happen. In either case, i would turn the starter by hand several times and work the bendix up and down. Then I would usually have to turn the key 2-4 times to get the engine going. Earlier tonight, i took the starter off, cleaned the terminals, and reinstalled it, but now it acts like no power is getting to the circuit (i don't know if this would be to the solenoid or starter). There is no click or movement.

I duck hunt, so the motor has not been sitting this winter.

The guy I bought the boat from in November said he put a new starter in it last summer (i do know new parts can be bad), but the label on the starter is faded completely out, so I'm wondering if he meant to say Stator instead of starter. He didn't know anything about engines.:)

what is the procedure for testing amps to the starter?

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking down on the flywheel it should turn clockwise.

Also, have you load tested the batteries?

Test the solenoid as I wrote earlier.

As for the amps, you will need a amp meter that can handle a minimum of 50 amps. Take the lead off the bottom of the starter and place the amp meter between the cable and the post on the starter motor. Try to crank it and see what amps register on the meter.

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

It's been a while since i have had time to work on the boat. I disconnected the small yellow with red stripe wire (from ignition) to the solenoid and did not get any volts when i tested it. I don't understand what I am testing here though. Am I testing to see if the ignition switch is carrying 12v back to the soleniod terminal? With this wire connected, i get 12v when i turn the key, with the wire off, i get nothing when i turn the key (which is what i expect to happen).

I have not been able to find any style multimeter that was capable of handling 50ADC. I bought a battery load tester/starter tester (100A) today and hooked it up according to the directions. With both tester cables connected to their respective terminals on the battery, I got 12.7V on the battery, but no movement in the needle whatsoever when I turned the key to crank the motor. (Needle should drop while its trying to crank right?)
After this, i had the starter looked at by a starter shop, they said it looks good and works (this is when it's not on the motor).

Should I connect the pos cable on the tester to the pos terminal on the starter and try to crank the motor? If so, what are acceptable limits on the gauge? Or should i go ahead an buy a new soleniod?

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

when i put a jumper wire on the starter, the shaft spins quickly, but the bendix doesn't ride up to engage the flywheel. anybody have an idea what is going on. the starter has been taken apart by a starter shop and everything was cleaned. should i look for a used starter to remove the shaft and bendix gears from to put on my starter since i know the brushes are good on mine?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You didn't do the voltage drop tests in the FAQ, Drum.

Take the battery cables (+ and -) completely off, check them for weak or swollen spots, thoroughly clean the terminals at both ends and reattach. Then do the same to the short cable from the solenoid to the starter.

This time, don't try any shortcuts or alternate tests. Just do it like instructed.

Let us know what happens.