Can't dump any more fuel in. Why?

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just attempted to put 20+ gallons in the tank but it began to overflow at 7 gallons (boat is in the garage). I checked the fuel guage and it reads 1/4 full. Am I missing something obvious or do I have a blockage of some type? The boat has a 50 gallon tank. Please help!!!

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Can't dump any more fuel in. Why?

Did you use 20+ gallons of gas? Gas overflowing is a good sign of a full tank or blockage in the filler tube.

Gas gauges do not last forever, but without knowing your fuel use it is hard to tell if you needed to add more fuel than you did.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

fuel gage sending unit maybe?

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat not level in garage. Front or rear too high causing fuel to run to the fill tube. Vent blocked causing air lock?

Splat

Lieutenant

Check your vent tube. Pretty common problem.

Bill

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the advice. I'm heading over to see the boat now to check the oil filler tube and vent tube. The boat is brand new as it's never had fuel in it until today so I'm pretty sure the guage was working correctly. I can't imagine anything could be blocking it, but I've been wrong before (just ask the wife)...Wish me luck because I'm taking her out on the maiden voyage on Tuesday!!!

sunbird 18

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 on having it level. Some tanks are narrow and run a distance fore and aft. M old boat was very sensitive to being level. I had to have 2 guys go stand on the bow if I fuel up in the water otherwise I can only get about 7 gal instead of 40:eek:

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

After closer investigation, someone at the factory must have placed a small cap over the fuel ventilation tube so it fueled up just fine once it was removed. WHEW!!!

ebry710

Ensign

Awesome. It is great when a simple thing fixes it.

GatorMike

Ensign

Reading this thread brings up a question I would like to ask. My boat fills very slow, it often blows fuel back at me through the filler tube but when it is full I have fuel splash out of the vent tube so I never figured it might be blocked. I just always figured the slow filling was something normal for my boat. None of the previous boats I owned filled nearly as slow. Does this sound like a problem?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

depends on the routing of the fuel fill hose.

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reading this thread brings up a question I would like to ask. My boat fills very slow, it often blows fuel back at me through the filler tube but when it is full I have fuel splash out of the vent tube so I never figured it might be blocked. I just always figured the slow filling was something normal for my boat. None of the previous boats I owned filled nearly as slow. Does this sound like a problem?

Yes, it sounds like a problem. Double check for kinks, a collapsed filler hose, and that the vent is functioning properly. I've repaired too many fuel filling problems on cars due to collapsed hoses and kinks. If the air can not get out of the tank as your filling it up, you are basically pressurizing the tank with fuel until it blows back out the filler.

Brian

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Can't speak to your setup, but mine was extremely slow. Normally, we had to get several people to sit on the front end, to get a little more slope to the fill. The fill opening was vertical and therefore so was the fuel line. A very poor design since fuel nozzles are curved. I had to make a fuel bong out of clear tubing and a funnel. The tubing just barely fits in the fuel fill and the fill threads keeps it in place. Since I have a 73 gallon tank, my refueling time went from an hour to 15 minutes.