Can't anyone take a joke

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My neighbor was putting together a trampoline for his granddaughter this past Saturday. I walk with my daughter said hi and some small talk while the girls played. I made some comint about homeowners insurance don't really rember what it was but he laughed and we talked for a bit longer then they had to leave. They came back a few hours later and there granddaughter was there so my daughter went over to see her. The wife was out this time so I went over a few miniutes later to check on Emily and thats when the wife unloaded on me about how rude and ugly it was to make a comint about there insurance and that we were not allowed in their yard at all anymore. I tryed to explaine to her that it was a joke but she did not want to hear that. I just hate it for the kids. have we come this far that we can not say things in jest without people freaking out. Life is to short to be that serious or was I out of line? :confused:

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can't anyone take a joke

Sounds to me like someone didn't take their menopause pills! Sheesh...<br /><br />Without knowing what you said, I couldn't tell you if you were "out of line", but the guy laughed at it, so that gives you the clue he took it as a joke. Sounds to me like his wife has no sense of humor...either that, or she was looking for a reason to tell you to get lost.<br /><br />It's unfortunate for the kids, but what can you do? Try sending a letter appologizing for offending them and state that you hope this won't hurt the friendship the children have. Wait for them to reply...if they don't, you don't need them. Just be careful bad-mouthing them in front of the little ones...they hear and repeat things VERY well!! ;)

mattttt25

Commander

it's too bad that in today's world, you were out of line. my parents had to completely remove the diving board from their in ground pool to prevent their homeowner's insurance company from dropping them.

bubbakat

Captain

James it was probably his wife's doings. I live over here in Mac town about 45 miles from you so I can safely say it comes from the water they drink. :D :D Several years ago I put a pool in for my wife and grand kids and she made every one who swam in it sign a release so with that said . go figure. But it is a shame for the kids.<br />Catch one of the parents out side and tell them you will release them from any liability so you daughter can be friends and then let them go their on way.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

It serves ya right, ya should've tell your joke here first :p :D <br /><br />The husband probably did'nt tell the joke to her right. <br />Why feel bad? its good to know what kinda nutcase lives next to ya, you ought to keep yer kid away from folks like that ;)

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking more along the lines of a large fence. Their granddaughter is only there off and on. I apoligized several times. Told her I ment nothing by it. The bad part was she let me have it front of the children. I stayed calm and collected. <br />bubbakat I drink the same water now you have got me worried.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Vlad D Impeller <br />That is what my wife said. Said she didn't like her for some reason and this just gave her an excuse.

ZmOz

Captain

Get your own trampoline and invite over the grand daughter...but yell at the grandparents if they try to come over. ;) My neighbors know better than to **** me off, I always get the last laugh. :D

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I did not think my kids would hurt themselves ZmOz that would be a great idea.<br />Got home from work today they are building a fence sweet now I don't have to.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by JamesTN:<br />Got home from work today they are building a fence sweet now I don't have to.
Go out there with a measuring tape and make sure they aren't a milimeter over the line. ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

What a looser, some people take everything to heart. If she was offended, she should have asked you to clairify your joke.<br /><br />I was once told at work to stop being "mean" to another guy, we were just joking with him, calling him "Yellow Pages" cause he was ALWAYS on the phone.<br /><br />Personally I wouldnt give someone like that another chance.<br /><br />Again, what a looser.<br /><br />Ken

Twidget

Commander

Its probably a good thing in the long run. She was looking for an excuse to unload on you, better to get it over with.<br /><br />We have a few trampolines in our neighborhood. The ones without the safety fence have caused a couple of broken bones from kids falling off, or landing in a weird way.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Twidget:<br />We have a few trampolines in our neighborhood. The ones without the safety fence have caused a couple of broken bones from kids falling off, or landing in a weird way.
Every kid needs a good "I couldn't walk for a month" story. :D

TilliamWe

Banned

Every kid needs a good "I couldn't walk for a month" story
ROFLMAO!<br />Dude, i am at work & had to cover my mouth to avoid busting out! Thanks for the funny!

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

They are paranoid... probably has been sued by someone else over something and they minght be taking it very seriously to the point of extreme. People can be friends one minute and then turn around and sue you over something the next minute.<br /><br />Had a friend whose own sister sued her for medical treatment for her daughter being hurt in my firend's house. Home owner insurance paid for the medical treatment but my friend's home owner insurance went up... Pi$$ her off big time and needless to say her sister was not invited to her house anymore.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The way I'm looking at it now is you got to do what you got to do.<br />By the way the fence is a good 6-8 feet on their side of the line. Guess my yard just got bigger.<br />George Carlin says it best when he talks about stupid kids and safty equipment Darwinism must take place and with safty equipment it can't.<br />A set of monkey bars got my arm at the ripe old age of 9 the day before school started. Extra 3 weeks of vacation.

Twidget

Commander

James, if you want to be a real pain, you could charge them for the mowing and care of that stretch of yard. :)

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by JamesTN:<br /> If I did not think my kids would hurt themselves ZmOz that would be a great idea.<br />Got home from work today they are building a fence sweet now I don't have to.
Kids are meant to hurt themselves, thats how they learn to stop doing stupid things!! :) Okay, all joking aside, you could get a trampoline with the safety net around it. That would prevent a lot of the injury that usually comes with trampolines.<br /><br />Or better yet, put a pool in and put a fence around it. Just don't let the grandaughter come over to use it.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a boat I don't need no stinkin pool or trampoline! My pool is the lake. :D <br />My kids hurt themselves enough except my oldest is a slow learner he has been known to hurt himself twice doing the samething. I am tring not to be a pain but some people make it so hard.