Cannot trim motor up - Porpoising

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cannot trim motor up - Porpoising

Dhadley said:
I think we may have some positioning issues going on here. Hopefully he can fill everyone in on what we've been talking about offline.

Yes, the anti-cavitation plate is not parallel to the hull at full down position. It is inclined slightly.

Can this be improved??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, that will explain the porpoise and the nose-high holeshot. The question is -- why is it that way now and not with the older motor?

It's easily solved and we can take care of the height deal all at the same time. A Bob's Machine 4 in 1 manual jackplate can be assembled so it has negative trim. And it can be assembled so it has minimal (2.5") setback. Obviously it will give you the option of more height very easily.

The mystery still remains as to how all the positive trim in the full down position got there.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

How does one set the full down trim angle?? It seems that the full down trim angle would depend on the angle of the transom??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The transom angle didn't change between running the older motor and the newer one unless you had the transom replaced. Or the old motor ran wedges that aren't there now. When the motor is in the full down position with the thrust rod removed you should have several degrees of negative trim.

The motor you're running now never gets to parallel, let alone to negative trim in the full down position. Something has changed to prevent the motor from coming all the way down, we just have to figure it out.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Even if nothing has changed we still need more negative trim angle. Wedges will provide that easily but we need more height too. Regardless of how we got where we're at, the Bob's convertable plate will solve all the issues simply.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

Dhadley said:
Even if nothing has changed we still need more negative trim angle. Wedges will provide that easily but we need more height too. Regardless of how we got where we're at, the Bob's convertable plate will solve all the issues simply.

Where can I find this product?

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

I dont understand, can I run the boat without the pin? Is it not needed at all??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The motor rests on the trim rams, not the pin (thrust rod). We've been talking about the pin being removed. Is it still there?

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

The thrust rod has not been removed. I would expect that this will allow the AV plate to be nearly level to the hull, however, since all I do is cruising with this boat, the acceleration is adequte as it is currently.

The next step IMO, is to decide about the jack plate, because I need to get the motor higher, however, Im not sure this transom is up to the added loading due to the offset from the jack plate. I felt like I was pushing it already when I added this motor....

I want to assess the transom and decide if I should replace it this winter, then add the jack plate, or simply leave it alone for a few years. Transom does not flex, but had water in it for many years prior to getting it dried out this summer.

walleyehed

Admiral

Acceleration is not why we want you to remove the pin...if it's stopping the engine from going on down a bit, at cruise, that's when it's going to porpoise and cause problems. I pulled my pin about 500hrs ago on my 200 V6..if it's in there, take it out.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

walleyehed said:
Acceleration is not why we want you to remove the pin...if it's stopping the engine from going on down a bit, at cruise, that's when it's going to porpoise and cause problems. I pulled my pin about 500hrs ago on my 200 V6..if it's in there, take it out.

I need the pin for keeping the engine's weight off the trim rams when trailering, correct? So reinstall when I trailer?

walleyehed

Admiral

What hole is that pin in? What hole, starting with #1 being the closest to the transom.