Cannot get powerhead off of my 57 Fleetwin, Please help!

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman
Hey guys Im back at it again..Im trying to replace the impeller and after reading my service manual and several posts on here Im still stuck...The manual reads that I need to remove everything from
the recoil assembly/flywheel all the way down bit I've seen several posts on here that claim only removing a half dozen or so bolts/screws from underneath the powerhead and plate that it mounts to....I've removed approx 6 or 7 bolts but cannot even get the powerhead to budge! I searched and searched for info or diagrams here on Boats but apparently am not using the correct keywords..
Can somebody please help me? I have a guy interested in buying my motor but I have to change impeller first which by the way I already have a new impeller,steel plate and powerhead gasket, are there any other parts I need to finish this job?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kurt Cappel

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Cannot get powerhead off of my 57 Fleetwin, Please help!

You can get an idea of how many holes are in the perimeter of that powerhead gasket, to tell how many screws and bolts you have to remove to get the powerhead off. There looks to be about 7 there. If you got them out, then take a rubber mallot and gently tap it on the flywheel and that powerhead should break loose.

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

Oh great idea thanks Cap.Zephyr! Im gonna try that this afternoon as soon as I get home from work and get the garage warmed up...Ill keep ya poste! In the meantime keep your eyes open for an upcoming thread from me about a locked up Fleetwin and another locked up Sea King3!
Thanks Again!
Best regards, Kurt Cappel

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are the following things to remove:

1. The vertical throttle shaft (just to make it easier to reassemble)

2. The fuel and air hoses

3. Seven screws holding the powerhead to the midsection.

With that, it should come off. The gasket may be stuck.

When you put it back you need a new powerhead gasket, a 303355 seal plate gasket, and a 303347 o-ring. Also make sure those seal parts are 100% good. That seal is vital to the long life of that motor.

Attachments

• 5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

sutor623

Rear Admiral

There are the following things to remove:

1. The vertical throttle shaft (just to make it easier to reassemble)

2. The fuel and air hoses

3. Seven screws holding the powerhead to the midsection.

With that, it should come off. The gasket may be stuck.

When you put it back you need a new powerhead gasket, a 303355 seal plate gasket, and a 303347 o-ring. Also make sure those seal parts are 100% good. That seal is vital to the long life of that motor.

Man, this guy knows his stuff!! I too had an issue removing my powerhead in the past simply because the exhaust gasket was stuck and I was afraid to be tough with it!

kbait

Commander

Make sure you have all 7 bolts out and try the rubber mallet.. If still stuck, sharpen the end of a standard screwdriver and tap it into the center of the powerhead gasket. Tap gently and hopefully it'll wedge in there and pop. If not, do the same on the other side of the powerhead. I've also re-inserted a powerhead bolt most of the way back in and tapped on that to free 'em. Just do all this deliberately and gently and it'll eventually pop, and you won't ruin anything. Good luck!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Or a putty knife

X2 here on that lower seal set up. Those are pretty vital parts.

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

Cool thanks guys...I haven't had tell to try any of this yet mainly because I've been to busy trying to get my firewood in order but Im gettn ready to order the o-ring and gasket that I don't have in stock yet..Ill keep ya posted and thanks again!
Best regards,
Kurt Cappel

kfa4303

Banned

Check here at iboats for your parts. If they can't get them, you can go to your local NAPA auto parts store and order the same Sierra brand replacement parts. If they don't have them in stock they can have them delivered within 24 hrs. for FREE. Good luck. Keep us posted.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check here at iboats for your parts. If they can't get them, you can go to your local NAPA auto parts store and order the same Sierra brand replacement parts. If they don't have them in stock they can have them delivered within 24 hrs. for FREE. Good luck. Keep us posted.

You have a better NAPA store than we do. Shipping charge varies from free to outrageous, depending on what warehouse it comes from. Naturally, Sierra stuff always comes from the outrageous one.

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

IM with F_R on the Napa subject they usually give me the wrong part for my car so Im not even gonna attempt them and as far delivery charges they make me completely pay before they order so if its the wrong part then Im out the cash and I have a part I can't use...I prefer all my sierra parts from Amazon mainly because I have good credit with them but also I get free 2-4 day shipping...I haven't had the funds to order from Iboats yet but if I start taking on customers I definitely will be ordering from Iboats & marineengine.com....
Any ways I got the powerhead off late tonite and the gasket and o-ring are in excellent shape.... Hope to have it back together tomorrow eve... I can't thank you all enough for your help!
Best Regards
Kurt Cappel

BTW, what does the red meat [OP] mean by my name?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I like red meat.......barbequed.:D

Nice to hear that you got it all apart. Yea, I try to stay with OEM when it comes to my outboard parts. Sea-Way Marine or Engine Blade and Prop have done pretty well for supplying parts for these oldies. I'm working on a 1941 Johnson HD-20 and so far, Sea-Way has come through on all my needs. I rebuilt the powerhead with new pistons and rings, so it's all good. I'm sure they can help you with your needs. As far as replacing the impeller, you should be good just about anywhere. They were the same as what's on the 5.5's, 6's as well.

kfa4303

Banned

I'll consider myself lucky with my local NAPA. Every time I've used them they were great. Go figure. When in doubt hit up a local dealer. eBay and Amazon also have a surprisingly good selection of most parts too. Good luck.

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

I like red meat.......barbequed.:D

Nice to hear that you got it all apart. Yea, I try to stay with OEM when it comes to my outboard parts. Sea-Way Marine or Engine Blade and Prop have done pretty well for supplying parts for these oldies. I'm working on a 1941 Johnson HD-20 and so far, Sea-Way has come through on all my needs. I rebuilt the powerhead with new pistons and rings, so it's all good. I'm sure they can help you with your needs. As far as replacing the impeller, you should be good just about anywhere. They were the same as what's on the 5.5's, 6's as well.

Banana! Stupid auto correct on my phone! I meant to the red letters [OP]!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Original Poster

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Crapp!! all this time I thought it meant "Other People's" :D:D

kfa4303

Banned

I was thinking OP = "Online Presently".

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that would have been my next guess, but I see the dot next to the user name glowing green to indicate that.