Cannot determine tire pressure

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
OK, getting down to basics, why not just put the right tires on in the first place? Just like you wouldn't put a pair of load range B tires on a 4 ton rig, why put load range D tires on a 200 pound boat?

NYBo

Admiral
OK, getting down to basics, why not just put the right tires on in the first place? Just like you wouldn't put a pair of load range B tires on a 4 ton rig, why put load range D tires on a 200 pound boat?

It would certainly make sense, and be cheaper.

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What size trailer tires need 90psi in them? It sounds like you need glasses to reread your tires.

LDJ :suspicious::hurt::hurt:

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
It seems the debate is rather one-sided. Why is he running 90 PSI with that load was the first thing to cross my mind.

I'm very curious what PSI is stamped on the sidewall of the tire? That's what I would go by.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I have a set of load range B tires on there, but even at 560# each, still probably less than 15% of max rating fully loaded..

I think mine is an extreme case though, a very light trailer with a light aluminum boat and no motor.

ezmac

Seaman Apprentice
The inflation molded into the tire is the Maximum cold inflation for maximum load. If you are not carrying the maximum load than less inflation is recomended. Over inflation causes the doughnut effect. The center of the tire is forced out causing a distorted footprint and excelerated center tire wear. Tire pressure Is determined by the size of the tire and load being carried.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'll throw in with the lower pressure for lighter load crowd, for the right application.... My jon boat trailer tires are run at 25PSI as running them at 50PSI makes only the center portion of the tire contact pavement.

Everything else, max PSI.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
I usually follow the trailer manufactures recommendation found on the capacity plate on the trailer. It's typically a few pounds under the tire manufactures maximum inflation number found on the sidewall of the tire. Same is true for my cars and tow vehicle.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I usually follow the trailer manufactures recommendation found on the capacity plate on the trailer. It's typically a few pounds under the tire manufactures maximum inflation number found on the sidewall of the tire. Same is true for my cars and tow vehicle.
Yeah, that's the right approach. Just like what it says on the plate in the door frame (or trunk) of your automobile.

I just went out in the garage and looked at the plates on the 4 boat trailers I currently own. They all have tires that exceed the capacity of the trailer (for example, one has a load rating of 1180 pounds, while the tires are rated for a total of 1680 pounds), and all of the plates show a tire pressure inflation spec that equals the maximum listed on the sidewall.

So, what to do, what to do.....In the case cited above, the max load is only 70% of the tires capacity, so should I reduce my opressure down to 42 psi, or should i leave it at 60 as the trailer manufacturer says?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't have Maxxis tires. I have Kendas and they don't say what to do.

Some here say max and some say trl manufacturer and some say tire mfg, but not all the tire mfgs have a say.

Maybe we need to hear from the people that have frequent failures and see what they do, so we know what NOT to do.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't have Maxxis tires. I have Kendas and they don't say what to do.
I think maybe you should fill yours to Max.

Bottom line, some manufacturers say to fill to max and others say you can reduce. Contact Kenda and I am sure they will tell you what to do.

Last edited: