Can you identify this drain plug sealant?

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pictured below is a brand new Mercuriser OEM drain plug bushing. Since the bushing already some kind of thread sealant applied, I wonder if I still need to apply QuickSilver Perfect Seal before installing to the engine block. Because I already installed one yesterday without Perfect Seal, naturally, I like to think I'll be fine without it :), but what?s your take?

2011-12-18 19.24.15.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can you identify this drain plug sealant?

I like to think I'll be fine without it

Ayuh,... I agree,... sealin' it twice ain't gonna help anything...

Pete104

Lieutenant

It's what they use!? Now, are you going to clean threads in the block?

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree,... sealin' it twice ain't gonna help anything...

Thanks!! For some reasons, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) I wasn't looking to forward to stand on my head again to uninstall and install the plug again.

It's what they use!?

Is that a question, or a statement?

Now, are you going to clean threads in the block?

I like to, but the boat in question will require the engine to be removed from the boat to clean the threads in the block.

Now, does any one know the name of sealant applied by the factory on the bushing threads? I think it's much less messy than the QuickSilver Perfect Seal. If it is applied for the same purpose as the Perfect Seal, I think I would prefer the less messy option.

B

Fun Times

Staff member

Pete104 is a marine tech, I'm sure he meant that as a statement.;):)

Is that a question, or a statement?

Now, does any one know the name of sealant applied by the factory on the bushing threads? I think it's much less messy than the QuickSilver Perfect Seal. If it is applied for the same purpose as the Perfect Seal, I think I would prefer the less messy option.
Believe it's called "Loctite #592 Pipe Sealant with Teflon" and it comes on most brass fittings like in your pitcher from mercruiser.

You put the loctite #592 pipe sealant with teflon on threads of brass fittings or plugs. You can not buy this loctite from mercruiser as they have no part number for it, you obtain it Locally.

Suggested Applications: Head bolts into through holes, oil psi sending units and sensors, oil and coolant lines, fuel fittings, rear axle fill plug, brake and power steering fittings.
http://www.proracestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9575&sourceid=GPPRS

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Why on earth would you need to pull the motor to use a thread chaser?
If you can get your hand in to install the new plug you can clean the threads.
Am I missing something??J

Pete104

Lieutenant

As Fun Times suggested, just about any sealant will be fine. And it's already there, why do you need more?

Why is this such a struggle?