Can you help me solve the mystery with the controls on my '89 V4 90hp?

Devil_Inside

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there! I have a 1989 Johnson V4 90hp VRO outboard which I bought without the original controls. I have a set of Evinrude controls on my boat which were from an older 60hp outboard that had to be replaced, which I thought about using with the 90hp. Well for the most part it worked - I can operate the throttle and the gear shifter and I also have the idle speed lever, but I cannot figure out the mystery with the choke and the power tilt and trim.

On the motor I have a black relay box which has two sets of connectors - one of them has a rectangular shape and has two leads (red and black), which I assume goes to the power source, and the other connector looks like a half-circle and has five leads (greed, blue, red, black and white) - I think that this connector is used for the power tilt and trim switch (red, blue and green) and the rest of it (black and white) are for the choke, but I am not sure.

Can you please tell me if I am on the right track and help me make this thing work? :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can you help me solve the mystery with the controls on my '89 V4 90hp?

your choke operates thru the main harness, purple wire, big red plug. the T n T thur the half circle. did you have T n T on the old motor?

Devil_Inside

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Can you help me solve the mystery with the controls on my '89 V4 90hp?

I think I did, but I can't remember as I got rid of the motor 3 years ago, however even if I did the connector was different as I won't fit on the current one; wire colors are different as well.

This might be a stupid question, but what is that red switch with a shredder valve on top of it located right next to the carbs? Before I fire the motor I need to flick that switch manually or the motor won't start. I thought that this is to purge the air out of the system, but I can see two wires that are connected to it as well (black and white) so I thought that there is a way to operate it from the controls as well, thus I though that was also the choke...

I am trying to find a user manual for this thing, but not having much luck, so I appologize for the stupid questions.