Can you help me put a name to a part

tm3912

Cadet
Hi guys, I have a 1981 Starcraft 16' SS. Below is a picture of the storage hatch/lid/etc. I need a new one but can't find it under parts. I suspect it is because I am not looking for the item under the correct name. Can you guys tell me what I should be searching for. storage SS.jpg I "borrowed" a picture of someone boat to help identify the part. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Can you help me put a name to a part

Don't think you will find the item, and if you do it will need repair. You can make it out of teak or other wood.

I call it the ski locker hatch.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^ yup, what he said. ^^

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's 1 of those "Parts" ya don't buy, but build yerself,...

tm3912

Cadet

Thanks guys. I did build one using treated plywood. I then put a poly coating on it. Worked but it warped and twisted just a little. Good suggestion on the teakwood I will have to go with that this time around. Thanks for the help.

tm3912

Cadet

"Ski locker Hatch" helped out a lot. I am finding used ones on Ebay now. Thanks very much

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

boat junk yard, too, can be a source, even if you have to trim or modify it.

A good source of teak is in junk furniture. Even cheap dressers may have a solid top; bed head boards and side rails are good scrap. But large flat pieces are usually several planks joined together. Keep an eye out on trash day (yes I am a shameless picker and this whole "green movement" has affirmed my cheapskate ways!)

Around here, cargo comes from Asia with teak boards as bumpers between break bulk as well as sometimes packing so you can find it around the docks, too, but access is harder now.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Any synthetic product you would use to build your own would be a better consideration. Wood is just that, it always needs some kind of elbow grease to keep nice.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. I did build one using treated plywood. I then put a poly coating on it. Worked but it warped and twisted just a little. Good suggestion on the teakwood I will have to go with that this time around. Thanks for the help.

Not a good idea for an aluminum boat. Treated wood from the big box store and AL don't play well together. Poly with no cloth will crack and flake off and you end up with the treatment chemicals (copper stuff) in your bilge. The next thing is hull leaks. Go with teak or another durable wood.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

The original was teak

you can try salvage places like Dons Marine Salvage in Clearwater, or the NOS stocking places like Kendar Marine (greatlakesskipper)

You will most likely have to build another.

thumpar

Admiral

I would go with teak. We had one with a teak ski locker cover. The original owner didn't treat it before we bought it and don't know how long it was since it had been. After we had it for 7 years all the teak will still in great shape just a little dull. We put some of the treatment on it before we up it up for sale to add some lipstick. Teak is very durable on the water.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would call it Fred.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would call it Fred.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the title. LOL. I sanded and refinished mine this morning. A little sand paper and finish and it looks better than new. Did my swim platform a few days ago. Makes everything look so much better. And sign me up for the stay away from treated plywood club.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I would STRONGLY consider making it from a piece of starboard