Can you go out with out a rubrail/rubrail inserts?

betadog808

Cadet
Hi guys,
I was hoping to get some advice here. We are in the process of upgrading our boat and part of it included us removing the rubrail and rubrail insert so we could put a nice layer of gelcoat on. That being said, we want to go out tomorrow but the rubrail insert hasn't come in yet.

Is it safe for the boat to go out without the rubrail and rubrail inserts? I understand we wouldn't want to bump anything without it on, I'd be more worried if water gets to that area maybe something bad could happen?

BTW, this is an older 14' Mckee.

Thanks for any advice!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can you go out with out a rubrail/rubrail inserts?

Not familiar with your boat and by no means am I an expert, but...I would not go out on the water if my rub rail was apart. In fact, I wouldn't go with ANY part of my boat hull missing. Even tho it is presumably well above the water line, depending upon conditions (you don't mention lake, river, ocean) that area could get wet and I wouldn't want any water going where it ain't supposed to go. Plus, you know Murphy's law....this will be the first time you'll miss your approach to the dock and need the rubrail! Just my .02 and probably not even worth that...good luck

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Does the rubrail have any way to seal anything? Don't know what your rubrail does. Many are just a joint cover to hide the uglyness underneath. Some might have a lip that would help prevent water from being splashed up and into the joint between the fiberglass halves.

For the most part it would be no different than running around in your pickup truck with the bumpers removed.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think in some boats the screws that attached the rub rail are the same screws that attached the inner hull to the out hull.

betadog808

Cadet

more info...

The boat would be going out into the ocean(pacific).

The way it works is there is a rubrail insert(plastic), that you put around the boat and it has/had rivets going through the edges of the boat. I think you also heatgun it to have the rail grab the edge better as well. THEN you put the rubber rubrail around that insert.

I'm not sure if it's just to hide ugliness and to hold the rubrail, but I just talked to a fiberglass guy and he was saying that the Mckee has the deck and hull glued together there so the insert is used to help keep water out??

QC

Supreme Mariner

Heed the concern about the integrity of the deck hull joint. If the rub rail only hides the joint and is not the joint, then you should be OK pending this:

I'd be more worried if water gets to that area maybe something bad could happen?
That's the concern. If water gets in between the deck and hull joint it could be trapped. Depending on your hull design, this might not be a big deal. Also the rub rail should be sealed underneath anyway so you could run a bead of marine grade clear silicone sealant around the joint before you go and pretty much seal it as well as it will be sealed when you do the same under the rub rail when you reinstall . . .

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

beat me to it

betadog808

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys, I think we'll kayak fish until we get it resolved...;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If the 14' McKee is a whaler clone, I wouldn't, because any water will get in the inner hull (NWS foam) and there is no practical way to drain it. So protect it from rain, too.

ETA you can, however, flip your boat while you are waiting to drain any trapped water.