Can trim tabs be mounted on my boat?

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can they? I don't think there is anywhwere to mount them. Thoughts please?

stern.jpg

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Can trim tabs be mounted on my boat?

Kobe,

What is the length of your boat?

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

21'9" 23'9" at the swim platform

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

I think that if you were to mount the 10" x 12" M120s (or a similar size by another manufacturer) you could mount the Trim Tabs where I have marked in red and the actuator marked in black could fit between the transom extension and the swim platform support.

stern4.jpg

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, tons of room.

Mark

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, that is where I want to put them, but didn't know if there was enuf room

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

quick question... will the bunk on the trailer interfere with the tabs when loading and unloading?

QC

Supreme Mariner

With helm adjustable tabs, if installed correctly, they will not interfere when the tabs are up.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys. Question though, I picked up a set for the boat an have to mod the trailer for them to fit without tearing off during loading/offloading. I was reading a post similar to this and there was talks of cutting bunks, moving the post, etc... Can't cut the bunks as they are mounted right on the rear of the bunks. However, I can move the post back the 5.5" necessary (1/2" still extends beyond the transom) this is a heavy boat 3200 lbs and stern heavy. But here is the question. The boat and trailer were a matched set. If I pull the post back 5.5" in essence moving the boat back the same distance. Will this screw up the COG of the matched set? Like I said this is a stern heavy boat and want to make sure before I mess with the setup.

Thx in advance for all your words of wisdom

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Only way to know is to check your tongue weight presently. 8-10% of boat AND trailer weight is preferable. So for example, 3200 lb boat (we assume that's loaded, gassed etc) +400(?)lbs trailer says that you're looking for 290-360 lbs of tongue weight.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is 3200 lb dry weight. Throw in 36 gallons of fuel and 500 lbs of meat (passengers) plus misc gear

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Unless your passengers ride to the lake in the boat on the trailer, we can leave them out...:rolleyes: So let's guess 3200 for the boat, 400 for the trailer, 260 for fuel, 200lbs coolers, anchors, crap etc =4060. Now we're looking 325-400 lbs tongue weight.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perfect... Thx dock, will check tomorrow

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why would you want to modify anything? With helm adjustable trim tabs, they will be completely out of the way of your bunk!

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why would you want to modify anything? With helm adjustable trim tabs, they will be completely out of the way of your bunk!

Exactly, I can't see how tabs are going to hit that trailer. The outdrive doesn't neither should tabs.

skargo

Banned

Yep! I just make sure mine are up, when I put my drive in the trailer position. Here is mine, on the trailer. I think this is when I bought it, before I adjusted my trailer. My bunks end at my transom, and even if they extended past, it would still work.

n554955651_6461646_7988964.jpg

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While I agree with what you are saying if I had helm operated tabs, but I have smart tabs. I will be putting the boat back in the water this weekend and moving the post back 5.5" which should put the stern right on the edge of the bunks. as you can see by the pic, the bunks are in the way for launching and retrieval. thx guys for your help. will post pics of the install and trailer mod

stern.jpg

captainzac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lencos would work
they have a auto up feature when the key is turned off
you might have to notch out the hinge like I did on my boat but I checked
with Lenco and they said that it would not effect the tab.

they work very well

took about 3 hrs to install

Harry

QC

Supreme Mariner

The Auto feature can be overridden right? :confused:

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Auto feature can be overridden right? :confused:

Why would you want to override it? I would see it as a great idea just in case someone forgets to pop em up before trailering. Question though, what if you bumped your ignition with the boat on the trailer? Would the Lencos start to deploy? Just a thought.