can the avaerage fish and ski boats go saltwater?

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: can the avaerage fish and ski boats go saltwater?

Grady's are a better built boat (this coming from a guy who owns two Wellcrafts). They handle a chop much better and typically have slightly better creature comforts. They're also waaaaaay more expensive. Grady and Boston Whaler are both very well made boats that have a fanatical following. Although there's no arguing the quality of the boats, the bottom line is most of the time they're both way overpriced in the used market if you ask me.

As for center console, they're very fishing friendly. Depending on kids and family, you may not like that there's no hiding from the sun/elements in one without some modifications as mentioned above.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: can the avaerage fish and ski boats go saltwater?

Looking online, the wellcraft and the grady kind of look the same. whats the difference? i'm starting to get the feeling maybe i should just give in to a center console.

In the way they look alike: You are probably noticing the hull shape, with a rise amidships along the rail, and a flared bow. That is what you want unless you go the Whaler/Skiff route. The Grady/Wellcraft will be more expensive that a similarly designed mid-range boat like a sea hunt, sea swirl, sea ox, sea pro, sea hawk, sea boss, sea a pattern here?

Add a bimini top for shade around here--you use it in the summer, take it down in the spring fall and winter. It interferes some with fishing but not much, and it's nice to be able to fold it down to get under the bridges when you are cruising or fishing around them (If you fly fish you don't want a top at all). You can always add a T top after a season or so; I thought I would but didn't. A small cabin on a small boat is a mistake IMO.

here's another good one that just came on CL:
2007 Carolina Skiff 17DLX - $6500 (Hampton, Va)

2007 Carolina Skiff 17DLX with galvenized trailer, center console, 50 HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboard, 18 gal gas tank, live well, bimini top, very low hours on boat/motor