Can I steam clean my outboard motor?

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class
May sound like a dumb question, but.
I am getting a new steam cleaner and I was wondering if I could safely steam clean my outboard motor? It is a 1989 Johnson 90hp and it runs great but is is dirty and grimy.

Somehow I am afraid if I get it too clean it wont run as well :p

What are your thoughts?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I steam clean my outboard motor?

I think steam cleaning anything but the exterior would cause problems.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I really don't know about the steam cleaning part of it, but I've kept the powerhead on my outboards clean for as long as I can remember. Since I use them in salt water I always pull off the cowling and give it a light spray down after each return home. Then I run it on the muffs to flush out the internal water passages. This warms up the outboard and facilitates drying off of the powehead. It also confirms that everything is good to go. I've never had any electrical problems from doing this, but I try to keep everything in good shape and go real easy with the hose. Like anything else, if you use your good judgement and take it real easy it'll might work out OK. However, I don't know if I would do the steam thing on a regular basis.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well I thing there are parts you could steam clean and parts I would absolutely avoid.

The primary problem with steam cleaning is that it penetrates more things then water does since it is a vapor. It could trash electronics and any sensors.......

Woodnaut said it......warm up the motor first.....

When you are done leave it exposed to the air w/o the cover for a few hours.......

D

DJ

Well I thing there are parts you could steam clean and parts I would absolutely avoid.

The primary problem with steam cleaning is that it penetrates more things then water does since it is a vapor. It could trash electronics and any sensors.......

When you are done leave it exposed to the air w/o the cover for a few hours.......

I agree.

I have cleaned many more outboards than I care to count. I use the commercial degreasers available at automotive stores. Some are biodegradeable.

Just spray them on, let it soak and grease/grime disappear.

As mentioned, AVOID electrics/electronics. Protect them with plastic and plastic bags.