Can I run it WITHOUT water if I remove the impeller?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have my boat tucked away for the winter in an area where water is not accessble. I only want to run it long enough to get the stabilized fuel into the carb, and to fog the engine. If I remove the impeller, can I run it for a few minutes without water flow? I would of be careful to not let the exhaut overheat.

Tnstratofam

Commander
If it were a new boat maybe. I would be concerned that a 26 year old engine might not like no coolant at the risers. That would be my big concern. Is it on a trailer or tucked away at a marina? An extra hour of inconvenience taking it to a water source is a lot cheaper than a cracked manifold ruining your season next year. I may be completely wrong though. I'm sure better heads will come along and give better advice.

Maclin

Admiral
I would rethink the necessity of the fogging and getting stabilized fuel into the carb's bowls. You would need to run the engine for quite a long time to get the old fuel out and stabilized fuel in. Makes more sense to remove the carb and just dump what is in there, or just do that next spring.

One of my idiosyncrasies is...I put stabilizer in each time I fuel up during the season as I am never sure when the last day of boating will actually be. It does not affect performance, and I know the fuel in the carb is stabilized, for whatever that may be worth.

Maclin

Admiral
It does not take long for the rubber exhaust parts to get too hot.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
If it's only going to be sitten for a few months i wouldn't worry about it. If 6 months to a year then id go thru the hassel.

Bondo

Staff member
I have my boat tucked away for the winter in an area where water is not accessble. I only want to run it long enough to get the stabilized fuel into the carb, and to fog the engine. If I remove the impeller, can I run it for a few minutes without water flow? I would of be careful to not let the exhaut overheat.

Ayuh,.... I never fog a motor for just a winter's lay-up,....
But if ya insist, I'd expect ya will burn up the rubber parts in the exhaust, 'n there's a pretty good chance of crackin' a head,....

Personally, I'd rather rebuild the carb in the spring, than be swappin' out the heads, 'n exhaust rubber parts,...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
1. Remove spark plugs. Get long flexible funnel. Drop 2 to 3 teaspoons of motor oil down into the cylinders. Give the engine a crank. Reinstall the plugs.

2. Add stabilizer to the gas in the boat.

3. Remove carb, turn upside down, shake shake shake.... Reinstall with new gasket.

superbenk

Commander
You can also just remove the plugs and spray the fogging oil in directly then crank a turn or two without starting (as mentioned above). Went last winter without stabilizing the fuel without any problems. Not sure I'd be terribly concerned.