Can I put my motor on the ground while I redo my boat?

tclark228

Cadet
I am redoing a Boston Whaler and I need to take the motor off for 2 or 3 weeks while I redo the gelcoat. Can I just set my motor on the ground in my garage for a couple of weeks or do I need to build a stand?

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Can I put my motor on the ground while I redo my boat?

I don't see why not lay it on the ground. What kind of motor?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

don't lay it on it's "back" spark plugs down. Lay it on its side, not the shifter side

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

an old pickup truck [thas not going anywhere] is good ,,,,,,hang her on the tailgate or on the side

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

If only for 2 or 3 weeks it doesn't matter which way you store it. Assuming this is a 2-stroke...

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

as long as its a 2stroke theres no problem laying it down on the floor.i have a few like that and have never had a issue ever.do not lay it on the shifter side.i understand four pokes are differnt though im not really up on why as i dont own one.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If it has an oil injection system, I've been told that you should lay it down on its side with the power head propped up a bit and the oil reservoir on top. Reservoir should be full.
I think the theory is that this will prevent air possibly forming an air lock.
Don't know how realistic that concern is, but it is in the manual for my Nissan 40 HP so may be in play for OMCs.
Of course if you mix the gas right in the tank, ignore this post....:D

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

So, what happens if you lay the motor on it's back for a prolong period of time?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

So, what happens if you lay the motor on it's back for a prolong period of time?

Just a guess here, but whatever is left in the carbs (if any) may leak down into an open cylinder and cause hydrolock the next time it's started.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Nothing that I'm aware of...you can hang a 2-stroke upside down by the leg for storage if you want to as far as I'm concerned...

We used to keep a 2-stroke kicker on it's side in a compartment on a sailboat for months on end. That thing always fired right up when we needed it. I've also had outboards sit in my shop for more than a year with no ill effects that I could see.