Can I Eliminate Clipper Circuit Assembly

td95ma

Seaman Apprentice
I have the Evinrude version of the 1971 60hp, I just replaced the rectifier due to it shorting out. Now the diagram I have shows that metal box with the 4 wires, yello yellow grey, black purple as the clipper circuit assembly, when replacing the rectifier i noticed to clipper had a black hole in it, burnt out like hole, so I took it to an Evinrude Diamond in the Rough dealer who has all the parts needed, he said I don't need to replace the clipper circuit, that if i just move the red wire from the rectifier from position 7 on the block to position 9 all will be good to go......can I trust him.......tell me more please my email is td22ma@aol.com any and all info on these devil of a motor would be great Tommy<br /><br />ps my original problem was I kept frying solenoids, almost instantly, boat was new to me, and would not shift, found a used lower unit replaced shifted fine for 3 days, but i never really ran it in neutral for long periods of time, set it up this spring started it up, left it in neatral and warmed it up for about 15 minutes and it popped in gear, ohm reading on green solenoid now was .2 ohms, replaced the solenoid and the exact same thing happened, tested the volatage going to the solenoids at the switch, had 18 volts and up.....checked the rectifier it was bad....have yet to replace the solenoids, I just pulled off the lower unit...what do you think rectifire gonna fix my problem? or is something else overchargin the system and will fry the rectifier and solenopids again?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I Eliminate Clipper Circuit Assembly

Tommy, yes you can get rid of the clipper circuit. Won't hurt nothing. 18volts is a little high for charging. Around 13.8 volts should be max. Good possibility the rectifier will cure your woes.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

there is a clipper in the wiring diagram for the 125 Johnny, same deal, just run the wires like on the 60 horse??

kas

Cadet

Tommy, I am learning about my 1970 60hp Johnson Hydro-Electric and have an ignition probelm now. In my reading I have found in more than one place that said "do not use a maintainance free battery on this motor due to overcharging and high voltages". It doesn't realy make much since to me but I have learned that sometimes things don't have to make sinse to be correct.