Can i cut my bunks down?

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I was looking at my trailer last night and realized my bunks extend 2 feet beyond the back of the trailer. I was wondering if I can cut these down and be ok?

I have 5 feet of tongue to work with.

Attachments

• 7AE92475-AC57-4513-AF5E-7A2D9EA31424.jpeg
    7AE92475-AC57-4513-AF5E-7A2D9EA31424.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • EDF1E7D4-FFFE-4EF2-9750-80CA09025282.jpeg
    EDF1E7D4-FFFE-4EF2-9750-80CA09025282.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I’m sure I’ll be asked this…reason I want to cut bunks down is because my boat is 16 feet. My trailer is over 20 with the bunks this way. I’d like to be able to park it in my garage I’d possible.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check your tongue weight……most trailers are setup to handle boats in 2 ft. increments. Since you hanging two feet off the back, either your tongue weight is light or the trailer is too long to begin with

In short, you set the boat on the trailer to obtain proper tongue weight (center of gravity of the boat should be sitting roughly on the center of the rear axle) then adjust the bow stop to the boat.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Bunks extend past transom? Then yes. Bunks should be under transom for support. Most of the time, they extend a couple of inches past it.
Right now the bunks are flush with the transom, but my there is 5’ between my trailer coupler and where the front of my boat sits. I got a lot of tongue

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Right now the bunks are flush with the transom, but my there is 5’ between my trailer coupler and where the front of my boat sits. I got a lot of tongue
Tongue length is irrelevant. It’s doesn’t carry the load.

The important parts is to have the load sitting over the axle(s) and the proper tongue weight for the load.

How much does the boat and trailer weigh?
What is the current tongue weight?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Check your tongue weight……most trailers are setup to handle boats in 2 ft. increments. Since you hanging two feet off the back, either your tongue weight is light or the trailer is too long to begin with

In short, you set the boat on the trailer to obtain proper tongue weight (center of gravity of the boat should be sitting roughly on the center of the rear axle) then adjust the bow stop to the boat.
As dingbat noted, whats the Tongue weight of current setup before you change anything.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Just took my bathroom scale out

As far as boat and trailer weight I’m really not sure 16 foot flat bottom Jon boat with spartan trailer that measured 18.5’ from taillights to ball coupler

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
We’ll I moved it up around 20” just to see what would happen.

My tongue weight now is between 179 lbs and 286 lbs 😂. I weighted it almost 20 times and have no idea which is accurate. It’s been all over in between too.

Attachments

• A574FEF8-25C2-471E-A283-2568FBBD3E36.jpeg
    A574FEF8-25C2-471E-A283-2568FBBD3E36.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone explain why my tongue weight is so heavy? It doesn’t make sense to me unless my scale is just reading horribly. I weighed myself and it was pretty close

briangcc

Commander
Simple...It's basic physics.

The trailer is a fulcrum with the trailer axle being the pivot point. As you move the boat forward on the trailer, it increases your tongue weight. To counter this effect, you'd need to move the axle forward.

**By moving the boat forward 2' you may have exceeded the capacity of your bathroom scale which is why you're getting weird readings.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Simple...It's basic physics.

The trailer is a fulcrum with the trailer axle being the pivot point. As you move the boat forward on the trailer, it increases your tongue weight. To counter this effect, you'd need to move the axle forward.

**By moving the boat forward 2' you may have exceeded the capacity of your bathroom scale which is why you're getting weird readings.
Thank you!

I guess I should’ve phrased my question better.

Does a tongue weight of 239 lbs for a Jon boat and trailer seem accurate? I read online tongue weight should be around 10% of total load, and I can’t see this Jon boat and trailer weighing 2400 lbs.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I think I’ve got it!

Weigh my boat and trailer, tongue weight should be 10% of total Number. Keep moving my winch stand back until I reach 10%, if tongue weight is still too high move axel forward.

To answer my question above I think the answer is my axel is too far forward on trailer at this point.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Thing about this whole thing is my trailer is about to give up the ghost anyways. I was just going to experiment with it while I can.

Attachments

• IMG_6159.MOV
    25.5 MB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
For a boat, 6-7% is probably OK. The 10% is more for things like travel trailers with large frontal areas and large flat sides. 10% on a boat trailer won't hurt, but a bit less won't hurt either.

If you get below 6%, that's usually when the trailer starts getting squirrelly at speed.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Ideally you want the rear bunk supports directly under the transom while maintaining tongue weight as described above. If the bunks protrude past the transom feel free to cut them off. The weight of an outboard, especially on an aluminum boat, can and does often cause the hull to bend/distort creating performance characteristics you don't want.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
My tongue weight is already too darn high, so I am not going to cut anything down. I have decided to moved everything back to where it was.

My next step (hopefully tomorrow or next week) is to get a weight of my boat and trailer to see how much that total is. I think I am going to have to move my axel forward to tip the scales before I can cut the boat down. How to balance this is going to be another Youtube Video.

I suspect my rig weights 1200 lbs at most, and I think that's probably an over estimate.

Anybody got a guesstimate of what this thing weighs? Plywood floors in the boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A tongue weight that is too low is dangerous. I don't see why a tongue weight can ever be too high, unless the tow vehicle can't handle it.

I solved the garage problem with my first boat. I cut the drywall out between 2 studs, and then parked the boat with the motor sticking in the hole. Grandpa solved the problem by cutting a hole in the back of the garage and then building a shed that protruded into the back yard, just big enough to contain the entire motor.