Can I change the Bellows myself?

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not sure how difficult this would be - but I was thinking of doing this before the drive went back on. Relatively intelligent, relatively handy - I am not working with tools everyday, but I know the correct end of a hammer to hit in a nail. It's a Bravo 3 outdrive if that helps anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I change the Bellows myself?

I restored one I/O. It was a Mercruiser. Replacing the bellows was obviously part of the restoration. I don't know what they changed in the Bravo from earlier outdrives, but there were 2 of those suckers as I recall, obviously both having a connection at each end. The boat end of one of them (forgot which, been 35 years ago), was more than I ever want to tackle again and I am pretty handy with tools....like I tore the boat down to the bare hull and rebuilt it with new floor and transom, the engine, and outdrive without any help...well, a couple of neighbors came over and helped me lift the little 4 banger up and get it situated in the boat.

HTH

Mark

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sorry we didn't see this earlier. I've moved it over to the I/O section. We try to keep the Boat Topics section free of engine and drive discussions. Good luck!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Wow that guy in those videos is a piece of work. What is a water pump clamp????? Don't bring your boat to that guy.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Silly :rolleyes: that's what you clamp the water pump on with.

cr2k

Captain

It looks kinda like vice grips mated with water pump pliers.

The best ones have the little blue plastic cap.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

WOW, watched that video, that guy doesn't have a clue. Both switches are trim limit, water pump clamp and ujoint clamp, gotta remember that. Didn't replace the torn shift cable bellows as near as I can tell. didn't replace the gimbal bearings or even mention the ujoints. If TC Electronics and Marine is the kind of "Marine Mechanic" many of you guys take your boats to, I feel really sorry for you, he is NOT a marine mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. He is a backyardigan (as rodbolt calls them) collecting money from people for his hack job.

Having said all that, to the original poster that has a Bravo III outdrive, not an Alpha drive, I can't tell you if you can do it or not because I don't know your abilities. For one thing, the Bravo III weighs a lot more than the little Alpha, the shift cable and and bellows are completely different from that comedy video. Best thing I could suggest is go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum and doenload the OEM service manual #11 (if between 89 &98) and read the procedures for what you want to do. Then decide for yourself if you can do it or not.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW, watched that video, that guy doesn't have a clue. Both switches are trim limit, water pump clamp and ujoint clamp, gotta remember that. Didn't replace the torn shift cable bellows as near as I can tell. didn't replace the gimbal bearings or even mention the ujoints. If TC Electronics and Marine is the kind of "Marine Mechanic" many of you guys take your boats to, I feel really sorry for you, he is NOT a marine mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. He is a backyardigan (as rodbolt calls them) collecting money from people for his hack job.

Having said all that, to the original poster that has a Bravo III outdrive, not an Alpha drive, I can't tell you if you can do it or not because I don't know your abilities. For one thing, the Bravo III weighs a lot more than the little Alpha, the shift cable and and bellows are completely different from that comedy video. Best thing I could suggest is go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum and doenload the OEM service manual #11 (if between 89 &98) and read the procedures for what you want to do. Then decide for yourself if you can do it or not.

Thanks Mod - I will download the manual and judge for myself. I asked because I do not have a lot of experience around boats and usually have mechanic do stuff like this, but I am trying to educate myself more and more, (but even with my lack of experience I could tell that the video was not a Bravo 3). We are getting a lot of snow on Long Island right now, so probably will not touch this for a while. If I attempt though, I'll let everyone know how it went.

TFHTECH

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for posting that vid i needed that my day was going ****ty un till i saw that now all is well omg thats funny (were can i find a fake rolex to work on boats with)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

(were can i find a fake rolex to work on boats with)

:D

I have to admit - that's what caught my eye as well as I watched the video. That dangling watch as he is working on an outdrive. :eek: Every real mechanic I know keeps all their bling on when they work on boats. ;)

I just replaced mine (summer 09'), I have a mercruiser alpha one. I also replaced the gimbal bearing. It is difficult and an extra set of hands is a must. Special tools are needed as well. If you can afford a to shell out a few hundred bucks more, I would have someone who knows what their doing do it. Not a fun day or two or three. lol.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

like DonS says, read the manual then ask questions.
the bravo three is easier to change the bellows than the alpha one.
as far as extra hands I only have two and do them weekly alone with the exception of handling the drive itself.
either I got weak and old or they dang things are gaining weight.
that and they put things so close together I cant see them anymore.

the job, barring corrosion, typically takes about 4 hours with gimbal bearing change.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

I am in the process of changing out all 3 bellows, gimbal bearings, trim switches, and water hoses on two Bravo 2 drives. I went with all OEM parts.

While none of it is extremely difficult, it is definitely not for someone who does not have some experience working on boats, and a good selection of tools. You will need some special merc tools to do this job as well.

Accessing the cooling hose inserts at the back of the engines, can turn you into a bit of a contortionist.;)

Hope that helps you decide whether to do it yourself, or pay a shop to do it.

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can check out sterndrives.com and also check out mercstuff.com in the "How Do I" section. They have some great info there along with any specialty tools you will need. I changed the bellows on my Alpha One back in october and will say, I now know why my area dealers get $700 to do it. :)