Can I add a tiller to a DT40?

mike__b

Seaman
I'm looking to buying what I think is an 88' DT40. It has power trim, etc. Is all I need to get a tiller working just the tiller handle assembly itself? I don't need any special bracket, etc?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I add a tiller to a DT40?

Without the linkages that connect the tiller handle to the throttle and spark advance system you only have a tiller. Other parts are involved. YOu also need a way to start, stop, shift and choke the engine so electrical stuff is required as well.

mike__b

Seaman

From what I've learned, doesn't the throttle assembly self-advance the timing as the throttle is increased?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have everything you need the answer is yes. But simply bolting a tiller handle to the motor is not all there is to this. When you twist the grip, thereare parts inside the cowl that must twist and move things as well. If you get all of that with the handle fine. If not, you have lots of parts to look for. I suggest you actually look at a tiller motor to see what you need. As I also mentioned, you need the electrical stuff as well but you could remove the key switch and kill switch from the control box and mount them at the back of the boat and just shorten the electrical harness.

James R

Commander

Go to Brownspoint.com to look at the drawings for the parts you need. Probably more than you want to do.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's a lot oif motor for a tiller, did it even have a tiller model? If not, you're urinating in the prevailing air currents ... ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's a lot oif motor for a tiller, did it even have a tiller model? If not, you're urinating in the prevailing air currents ... ;)

There are a lot bigger motors than that with tillers. 40HP is sort of mid range for a tiller engine.