Can a Mercruiser freeze to death in the winter?

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am wanting to buy a 96 Bayliner Capri 19'. It has a 135 I/O Mercruiser. The owner brought it to Oklahoma two years ago from Florida. They didn't do anything to winterize the boat and it gets down to about 10 degrees here in the winter. Is there any chance the motor is still good? What can I do to check it? Thanks in advance. You guys are great to us newbies.

alcan

Commander
Re: Can a Mercruiser freeze to death in the winter?

Hello oil slick<br />Yes, like any water cooled engine it can freeze. Yes there is a chance it is ok. You are right about giving it a very close inspection. If it were me I would pay an independent party to inspect it. No matter how much I look at things I want, seems that I allways over something. Just because I want it. A couple of hundred now can save you thousands later. It is not uncommon for repair bills to excede the value of a boat luke that. Good luck I hope this one turns out to be a gem.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Heck yeah there is a good chance that motor is still good. Sometimes if it is stored long enough before that freeze, most of the water will be evaporated. I would put a flusher on that motor and run it. If it froze and cracked any cavities, you will see it by the water coming out or in some cases inside mixed with the oil. I have had several like that and most were fine.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

oil slick , look on the side of the block under the manifold .see if there is a rust trail going down the side of the block, this means there is a crack behind the manifold that you can't see without removing the manifold.

f_inscreenname

Commander

If I owned the boat,I would change the oil befor I would ever start it. Also I would let the drained oil set to see if any water came out. If I really wanted to give the motor a chance you may want to pull the dist and run the oil pump befor starting.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Oil Slick, Sometimes a quick freeze down to 10 degrees is okay, but I have had damage to unprotected equipment done at 20 degrees, but usually it is the duration of the freeze that will do the damage. At 15 degrees damage can occur where nothing is broke or cracked, but can cause warping of the cylinder heads and even the cylinders themselves. Also check your outdrive. Some units when left in the up position can collect water in the prop shaft area and break the housing on your lower unit. Been there, Done that, Cha Ching!<br /><br />Some external cracks on the block can be repaired easily by using the lacing method. Years ago I bought a Glassmaster with a cracked block. Used pipe plugs to lace it up. Didn't leak at all and only cost me under 5 bucks.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The block could likely be cracked. One symptom is water coming from the induction system while running. The exhaust manifold(s) and riser(s) may also have bought the ranch. Both are fairly expensive, but a cracked block is a definite disqualifier.