calling mr crabs

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi mr crabs, i finally located the bowl nut part number 631811 and it is being shipped to me from arizona to try out the experiment of trying to increase the hp from 9.9 to 15hp as we previously discussed. i found this marina and they are sending me a list of tecumseh and eska parts that they purchased off a small engine guy that past away a few months ago, apparently they never heard of eskas before and they are trying to get rid of the parts.as soon as i get the list i would be happy to share this info with you and anybody else who would be interested in these parts.they are sending me 2 bowl nuts for 10 bucks including the shipping.they also have a list of clinton parts that they are sending me that list as well. hope you had a good labor day weekend,went fishing with my father in law and didn't catch any fish but they did jump all around the boat every spot we went to. if i could only train them to jump into the boat it would make it a lot easier. lol.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: calling mr crabs

does anybody know of a specialty tool for changing out the high speed needle jet 'float bowl nut' while the carb is still on the engine. there is not enough clearance with a standard 1/2 inch wrench or a crows foot to remove it without taking the entire carb off of the engine.i thought of cutting down a 1/2 inch wrench but i hate to destroy a tool for this one time use which may or may not work.the purpose of this is to be able to change out the jets to see if switching out the jets will actually turn a 9.9 into a 15hp. the quicker and easier to do this, preferably on the water to make the test results easier to evaluate.the engine is an eska 9.9 384a tecumseh powerhead mod#14210F ser#4017084.thanks in advance for any help. narwhals.

bjbmedic

Seaman

Maybe I should have you ask if they have a dead ignition module they would part with for a 9.9
B

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they are sending me a parts list, and i hope to get it by the end of this week or early next week. if they have a dead ignition module or anything else related i'll let you know as soon as i receive it.

M

mrcrabs

I wrote a big nice reply to this thread and it just disapeared....nice find on the parts! , could you e-mail or post the list at the yahoo group...I think you can find my e-mail there.

do you boat on the Il river? jumping fish= asian carp?

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so i'm not the only person that happens to as writing and disappearing,and it says your not logged in. not boating on the illinois river but a local state park, i have better luck on the ponds in my neighborhood than i do at the state park.as soon as i get the list i'll definitly post it on this website and on the eska yahoo site, i'm guido fido on that page but i don't get there that often.if i don't get the list before tuesday then it will be after the weekend as i'm heading out for a musky trip up north. thanks again for all your help,and i hope that the changing of the jet is a success. thanks narwhals

M

mrcrabs

Narwhals I hope the jet gets you that extra power, I'm very interested in the outcome.
I just want to say for the record I'm no bonafide expert but I have provoked alot of knowlage acumulation on the Dependable Eska....when I first joined Iboats it was because I had a 7.5 that was very low hr. I bought it for my grandson and didn't know anything about there history except it had the same engine as my old rupp mini bike and I had seen them in boys life mag when I was in grade school and always wanted one, but the "experts" here at Iboats were advising to junk the little outboard and buy a J/E of which I have had many and spent several small fortunes rebuilding and maintaining them, no thrills there unless its a 140 looper with yamy ignition and mounted on a hydrostream.... I still keep and run a super looper 70hp thats the back bone of my fleet, however I became intreged by the SSI Eska models....I can't explain it except that I always root for the underdog i.e "Tony Stewart #14 Office Depot"....go Tony!!!... my wify works there...LOL anyway with my extensive knowlage base...not....I decided to make the Eska my new hobby and with the help of Tom Anderson (one hell of a good friend) and Ed Stoller the magnet man and both great friends to have.... we have brought back the "Dependable Eska" and when you run a google search on them it brings you here and with good fellows like you and B and tyler and mahty, tommy 2 stroker and the other's we have together put alot of young guys and grandpa's back on the water cheap, with the best parts sources and manuals....its all for fun eh? and to save a piece of history that many of the upity ups would rather see them sunk to davy jones's locker because it didn't cost enough or have the HP there $$$ johnnyhaws had. nuff said on that.

Now if you ever get down here to Pope co. or want to come look me up...send me a e-mail and I will take you fishin on the historic Ohio river for catfish and crappie and I will even show you where Davy Crockett and Mike Fink filmed "Davy Crockett and the river pirates" at cave in rock, my favorite movie of all time, and I promise you will catch big fish....thats a invite for sure...and I can put you on the fish...no brag just fact:)

best regards,
Doug S

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the offer mr crabs on the fishing although i don't get to ohio that often if i'm ever in the area i'll look you up. i was very excited when i got this set up from a guy in wisconsin.i got the 15 1/2 ft boat extra wide beam deep v, trailer,and the 9.9 eska with fuel tank all for 450 bucks. i had no idea what an eska was but when i got it home and saw it was a tecumseh engine,and that it was very clean low hours i knew i had a really good thing.i've been working on tecumseh's for a very long time and i knew parts would be easy to come by as all the carb parts were almost identical to all the lawn mowers i've seen.i'm always tinkering in the garage trying to figure out how i can make it better, so when we discussed the bowl nut for extra hp, seemed like a no-brainer.5 dollar part for 5 extra horses, seems to good to be true but if it works i'll have an extra bowl nut if you want to try it on one of yours.as soon as the part gets here i'm going to see if it works.what do you think about changing out the bowl nut, i want to do it without removing the whole carb the only thing i can think of is to cut down a 1/2 inch wrench as theres not much room under the housing. thanks again Vince P.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Narwhals I hope the jet gets you that extra power, I'm very interested in the outcome.
I just want to say for the record I'm no bonafide expert but I have provoked alot of knowlage acumulation on the Dependable Eska....when I first joined Iboats it was because I had a 7.5 that was very low hr. I bought it for my grandson and didn't know anything about there history except it had the same engine as my old rupp mini bike and I had seen them in boys life mag when I was in grade school and always wanted one, but the "experts" here at Iboats were advising to junk the little outboard and buy a J/E of which I have had many and spent several small fortunes rebuilding and maintaining them, no thrills there unless its a 140 looper with yamy ignition and mounted on a hydrostream.... I still keep and run a super looper 70hp thats the back bone of my fleet, however I became intreged by the SSI Eska models....I can't explain it except that I always root for the underdog i.e "Tony Stewart #14 Office Depot"....go Tony!!!... my wify works there...LOL anyway with my extensive knowlage base...not....I decided to make the Eska my new hobby and with the help of Tom Anderson (one hell of a good friend) and Ed Stoller the magnet man and both great friends to have.... we have brought back the "Dependable Eska" and when you run a google search on them it brings you here and with good fellows like you and B and tyler and mahty, tommy 2 stroker and the other's we have together put alot of young guys and grandpa's back on the water cheap, with the best parts sources and manuals....its all for fun eh? and to save a piece of history that many of the upity ups would rather see them sunk to davy jones's locker because it didn't cost enough or have the HP there $$$ johnnyhaws had. nuff said on that.

Now if you ever get down here to Pope co. or want to come look me up...send me a e-mail and I will take you fishin on the historic Ohio river for catfish and crappie and I will even show you where Davy Crockett and Mike Fink filmed "Davy Crockett and the river pirates" at cave in rock, my favorite movie of all time, and I promise you will catch big fish....thats a invite for sure...and I can put you on the fish...no brag just fact:)

best regards,
Doug S

Dear Doug(Mrcrabs),,, I live in Massac county out by EEI electric energy. We fish/Play on the Ohio almost every weekend, my friends go to golconda and put in and then cruise up to the rock but i have never done it. Good to see locals on here, Tom

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, this is the best forum i have ever been on. we all have a love for the water and respect others too, glad to be here, as far as eating i say if it taste good eat it if not spit it out lol i love my blues though.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i finally got the new high speed jet 631811, i've got it so its easy to install but i don't have a tachometer to check and see if i'm getting a higher rpm @ 5500 which is what the specs show.the new jet has a smaller horizontal hole but the vertical is larger than the original. the number stamped on the bottom of the original is 104 and the new jet has a 51 stamped on the bottom. i'm hoping to get on the water to test out the original and the new jet to see if it works.i did some research and found out the same info that you told me about the bore and stroke being the same and the only difference i see is what you said about the fuel.if this isn't the right jet would you know of any other numbers for the jet? thanks again mr crabs vince

M

mrcrabs

Like I said Vince I talked this around the boat shop yesterday again and we (J/E mechs) all agree its most likly the jet, exhaust and prop to go from 9.9 to 15hp, you know you could put a prop from a 7.5 deluxe on it and see 8-9 grand just about the time she turns to shrapnel

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think i've learned more about this unit than any other piece of equipment besides my old YZ-250, i really miss that bike. i hope to get it on the water later this week to see what kind of results i get. i wish i had a tachometer to see if i get the increase in rpm's. most units usually get wrapped around the plug wire and grounded to the block, being its got two cylinders would i still get the 5500 rpm's or would it be half the number? thanks again for all the knowledge and input on this venture.

M

mrcrabs

I would stay with the 11p prop to keep the rpms up, the 12p will most likley rob you of rpms.

I had a YZ 250 back in the day....I remember that seat of the pants rush when she hit the power band....Whoa nelly!!