Calling Farginicehole2

rottenray6402

Ensign
I need some help if you would be so kind. I remember your Mother has an Eagle 196 the same as mine. My question is: on my 1992 Eagle I thought the switch on the dash labeled PUMP was for the live wells and when I turned it on I could hear it running but no water to the wells. I found out last weekend that is actually the bilge pump swith so now I am confused on the live well pump switch. I have 2 switches labeled accessory but neither seem to do anything. Do you know if one or both of the "spare" switches should run the pump for the live well? Thanks!

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Calling Farginicehole2

Hey Rottenray, I haven't been to this forum in quite a while and just noticed this today. I live in Michigan, and my mom now lives in Ensenada. . . so, I can't go check. I can send her an e-mail and ask about this though, so maybe she can check it out when she gets a chance. I'm thinking her boat is a '91 or '92, but I'm not sure. I won't be seeing the boat "in person" until this September when my wife and I go visit them. If I find out anything, I'll let you know. So I take it you are wondering if you have a bad live well pump, switch or wiring connection? Do you have a multimeter so you can do some investigation?

rottenray6402

Ensign

Thanks for the reply, I traced the wires last night and found that in fact the pump is hooked to one of those switches. I used my test light and found that there is power to the wire when the right hand ACC switch is actuated but the pump isn't working. Tonight I will double check the ground and make sure it is grounding but I suspect that the pump is bad. It is much easier to access than I thought it would be if the oil tank is moved out of the way. Thank you for your help and I'll let you know the outcome of the situation. I didn't realize that you didn't live close by to your Mom. :(

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Great! Sounds like you are close to getting it fixed. Next, you'll have to go out and get started filling that livewell with fish! Man, we really tore'em up last evening. I took a co-worker out and he boated a really nice (over 21") smallmouth bass. It's been a couple years since I've fished saltwater though, OR seen my mom for that matter, so I'm anxious to go to Ensenada this Sept.!

rottenray6402

Ensign

It is a bad pump, I pulled it out and the motor is siezed up. I'll put a new one in this weekend. I am excited about getting into some fish alright! We usually do well on the smallies in Lake Erie this time of year but I haven't been out yet. That 21" sounds great! Were you fishing in Lake Michigan? I think I would rather catch smallies than anything else. We try to get to the Adirondacks a few times a year and catch large mouth, smallies, and northern pike up there. Keep up the fishing and good luck in Sept. I know what you mean about seeing Mom though, mine lives in Montana where I grew up but gets back here every year. She loves to fish also (go figure) and when she comes out the end of Aug I'll take her out a few times. Thanks for your support on my problem and good fishing! :D

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear you got it fixed! That smallie was out of a local inland lake. I've never fished for them in Lake Michigan. When I do get out there, which isn't as often as I used to, we are usually trolling for salmon or perch fishing. We hit probably over 50 largemouths (no joke!) Tuesday night, but most were pretty small. Also got a couple northerns. I think you're probably really going to like that Crestliner. What is it powered with anyways? My mom's has a 115 Ocean Runner on it. I'm really hoping she puts a kicker on it soon, as it would add a lot of safety and peace of mind while out in Mexican water in the Pacific!

rottenray6402

Ensign

So far I'm really impressed with the stability of that boat in rough water. Memorial weekend we were in the Alexandria Bay area of the 1000 Islands and the cross chop was brutal from all of the boaat traffic. Didn't have any "pucker factor" with this one like I had with my old Sylvan. I've got a V-4 120HP Johnson with VRO on it and I always carry my 6hp Johnson kicker. Right now I have the kiccker mounted on the transom but on my other boats I have always used one of those mounts that go up and down to vary the depth. I hate to put anymore weight on the stern with the bracket but will probably end up doing it. Between the kicker, an extra battery, and the fuel tank for the kicker it is pretty heavy in the rear. The more I use the boat the better I like it.<br />That is some great fishing! We usually don't run into those kind of numbers around here but have in Canada once in a while. I don't perch fish but in the fall / winter we troll or drift over the Niagara Bar where the Niagara River dumps into Lake Ontario. On a good day we have hooked a fair number of Lake Trout with an occasional Brown thrown in. :)