Calling All Plumbers

r.j.dawg

Ensign
We live in a highrise condo and the main water shut offs to our unit are 1/2" partition stop valves
2310-442008_s.png

I need to replace our kitchen faucet but neither valve will budge so I can shut them off. Is there some sort of lubricant I can put in the tube where the shut off key goes to loosen them up?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Calling All Plumbers

Not real familiar with that valve but if a lube can get in, water can get out. Channel locks on the key, don't break or twist it. Tap on the body in hopes of breaking the crust/corrosion. May have to shut down the entire complex to replace. Maybe the HOA has seen this before and can offer a solution.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Not real familiar with that valve but if a lube can get in, water can get out.
Thanks for the reply foodfisher. That's pretty much what I was thinking but then thought, what the heck, there may be some magic elixer out there I don't know about. I'll give the channel locks a try. The valves are the responsibilty of the HOA as they are within the wall so if worse comes to worse I'll give them a shout.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the reply foodfisher. That's pretty much what I was thinking but then thought, what the heck, there may be some magic elixer out there I don't know about. I'll give the channel locks a try. The valves are the responsibilty of the HOA as they are within the wall so if worse comes to worse I'll give them a shout.

If the valves are the responsibility of the HOA, why not give them a shout before "worse comes to worse"? :confused:;)

If you try to fix someone else's valves, six things can happen....only one of them is good. :D

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I think I just may do that Tim. I'm one of those "If I don't do it myself it's not done right" kind of guys. Old habits are hard to break. :facepalm:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I think I just may do that Tim. I'm one of those "If I don't do it myself it's not done right" kind of guys. Old habits are hard to break. :facepalm:

Me too, but I've also been bitten more times than I should have allowed myself to be and am trying to learn from that....not 100% sure it's working. ;)
Maybe consider adding shutoffs at the appliance so that you aren't relying on the mains for a small job like changing washers etc. ??

One other point, it is absolutely in their best interest to get this sorted out ASAP. If there was a leak in your unit and they couldn't get the shutoffs to work.....:facepalm:

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Maybe consider adding shutoffs at the appliance so that you aren't relying on the mains for a small job like changing washers etc. ??

One other point, it is absolutely in their best interest to get this sorted out ASAP. If there was a leak in your unit and they couldn't get the shutoffs to work.....:facepalm:

Absolutely. Shutoffs are going in both bathrooms and the kitchen. It's all pex piping so will be easy to do. I just placed a call to the building super so hopefully can meet with him after work.

bassman284

Commander

My brother, a carpenter turned home inspector always says, "Plumbing isn't very complicated, but only a plumber can do it."