Call me cheap... but...

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Call me cheap... but...

I have told my wife that my 18' SS is the last boat I'll ever buy. She doesn't believe me.

Yeah...I don't believe ya either:p

I see a tin cuddy being purchased in the future...maybe a Starcraft?:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah...I don't believe ya either:p

I see a tin cuddy being purchased in the future...maybe a Starcraft?:D

HA, I think you already know I have all stages covered.....my dad bought a 14' tinny, I have my SS, and my buddy bought a 21' Chieftain. Neither of them currently have suitable tow vehicles and are unlikely to use their boats without me. I win.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'm a man who enjoys old things... old things with motors...

here's my 65 falcon...
IMG01010.jpg

and my 92 vulcan...
IMG01139.jpg

and of course, my 79 champion python....
IMG01578.jpg

i've been the sucker who bought the new car and the new bike in the past, but i have yet to buy a new boat. i doubt i ever will. i can definitely see myself buying a 3 to 5 year old boat in a few years though.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call me cheap.

I got my boat on trade for a car hauler i had. The guy i traded with got the boat free cause it was sitting on some property he bought a few years back. He had a mechanic shop go through the engine and drive, its a good running boat.

The boat is a 1985 Bayliner Capri, sequential lift hull open bow. The engine a 4 cylinder volvo penta 125a no fancy computers fuel injection etc. Boat will hit 35mph on that engine at 4500rpm fast enough for me. Im not a speed queen

When i got it i did a tune up on it, the plugs were mix matched, the wires were original. I rebuilt the carb cause it wasnt getting any fuel its s single barel solex carb about the simplest you can get if you can redo a lawn mower carb you can redo this one, less parts. Turns out the shut off needle was sticking. If it sits longer then 2 weeks you need to take the top of the carb off and fill the chamber with gas. The oil always stays clean and same level. Came with a crab pot puller and a custom board in the back for tending to crab pots and down riggers.

This year i plan to do:
4 new bosch premium plugs
New fuse panel (old one is getting corroded
pending if funds available a marine cb radio
and finally get the gosh darn cd player installed
recharger or replace fire extinguishers
replace first aid kit

I average on the high end 40hrs engine run time. The outdrive oil has always been clean with no metal shavings. Probably will go into the shop for the first time since i owned it for a ujoint bellows change and inspect grease the gimbal and u joints. Id do it myself but i dont know if i would trust myself to remove the upper gear box to do it and not lose the shims

haulnazz15

Captain

Something about paying interest on a rapidly depreciating asset means I'll not be having any new boats or other really expensive toys unless I win the lottery. Nothing like seeing the value of that brand new motorhome/airplane/boat drop by 50% in 3 years. Unfortunately, it seems that most people don't understand that phenomenon until they've already bought that $30K+ car right out of college, and that 50K boat financed for a decade, etc. Nothing like leveraging your butt to the banks in return for the "gotta have it now" generation.

:) My 76 MT set my father back $4K about 18 years ago. Since then, it has gotten a new $1K composite transom, $500 floor/carpet, and getting a $2K complete engine rebuild. $7500 spread out over 18 years with 0% interest paid isn't too shabby. Comes out to about $35/mo. :p

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Bail on the Bosch plugs, the electrodes drop out. I ran them in a pair of 350 Mercs and had 9 of 16 distend in 40 hours. NGK are the most reliable in my book.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

They sell those new boats so people like us can buy them 10 or 20 years later for what the sales tax was on it when it was new! My first boat was 44 years old & my second & current is 35 years old. Love 'em both, run great! A friend & I willl go to a car show to see what we'll be driving in 2020.

Moody Blue

Captain

Cheap, no. Practical and realistic, yes. Well, maybe a little frugal:D

Got my second boat motor and trailer package (2 footitis) for $281 from ebay. Its a 1971 boat built for fishing on the great lakes so its very comfortable in rough water where I boat. It was in storage for more than 22 years when I bought it and was in remarkable condition. Spent one summer refurbishing and cleaning it and repainting the trailer and getting the motor running. Spent maybe $800 in addition to the initial purchase.

Couldn't be happier with it. I don't have any payments to make and to top it off, I get compliments everywhere I take it.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Bail on the Bosch plugs, the electrodes drop out. I ran them in a pair of 350 Mercs and had 9 of 16 distend in 40 hours. NGK are the most reliable in my book.

methinks you may be in the wrong thread, unless you are suggesting you are so cheap you buy used spark plugs. :confused:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately, it seems that most people don't understand that phenomenon until they've already bought that $30K+ car right out of college, and that 50K boat financed for a decade, etc. Nothing like leveraging your butt to the banks in return for the "gotta have it now" generation.

Well there is something to be said about the "gotta have it now" generation becouse tomarrow may never come.

My MIL spent every spare minute of her life working so she could live well when she retired. Well it worked, she retired a very wealthy women at age 70. Problem is, two laters later she was dead of brain cancer. All that savings and hard work bought her what? A larger casket?

No thanks, I'm spending my money while I'm still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it. :D

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I can go...ahem...both ways on this. I love getting old stuff to run and enjoy what, for the most part, is the better (or at least heftier) materials that went into older machinery.

I can also go "near new" and enjoy as someone said letting the other guy take a big depreciation hit. The Scout had only 24 hours on it when we paid about 30% off list price from a guy who bought just as his kids were hitting an age where they would rather hang with their friends all weekend than boat with their parents. It just sat and sat under cover of its nice protected boat lift til I happened along two summers later.

I can also be tempted by brand, spanking, sparkly new too but can rarely justify the expenditure on fresh-off-the-line big ticket items. The one and only vehicle I bought brand new I regretted as I watched all that interest fly out of my wallet every year. I swore I'd never do that again.

Course, that was ten years ago now and the pain has almost faded. Hmm...probably some deals on a new Toyota truck to be had about town these days...:D