Cabelas trailer dolly. Will it do the job??

Mike bob

Cadet
Looking to see if a cabelas trailer dolly would work for my 14 foot aluminum boat and 25 hp Evinrude. I pull it up a slight grassy hill in my backyard. Anyone have any experience with these. The non adjustable model, 600 lb limit.

Maclin

Admiral
You should post a pic or a link to the item.

I do have some recent experience with a Haul Master dolly ,max 600lb capacity, see pic and description below. I use it solely to move a 16 foot fiberglas boat around on flat gravel in a storage yard. It works fine but I really need about 2 more inches height for the trailer jack to clear when the dolly is "parked". The tire size is ok, but larger tires would be easier to move around. I had to do a lot of moving while jockeying two boats around this week and like I said it is ok, but now wish I had bought the next size up (+$20 or so) with the adjustable height ball. I am (in my head) working on a ball mount extension with box tubing to get some height. The next size up tires I can find do not fit this axle. Hope this helps.

HaulMasterAutomotive.gif
This trailer dolly has an extra-long handle to give you the leverage you need to manually move small trailers easily. This trailer dolly helps you safely move a lightweight trailer (under 600 lb.) over short distances, and helps maneuver those trailers in tight spaces. Now there's no reason to strain your back trying to move your utility trailer, or the trailer that holds your boat or snowmobile thanks to this small trailer dolly.
  • Super-strong tubular construction
  • Large 10 in. pneumatic tires
  • 1-7/8 in. ball hitch
  • Cushioned grip handles

Maclin

Admiral
I know I am past the 600lb limit on this unit but also only need it on flat paved or gravel land and short distances, 20-30 feet max. It is stout enough for that and so far seems to be good quality, have used it many times with no issues.

oldjeep

Admiral
Seems like a good job for a lawn tractor with a ball on it. Manually dragging even a light boat up a hill doesn't sound like much fun.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Seems like a good job for a lawn tractor with a ball on it. Manually dragging even a light boat up a hill doesn't sound like much fun.

Good idea. Done it in the past myself, worked great......

Maclin

Admiral
Yeah, that going uphill thing is work, be ready to drop the handle and grab some chocks. All I have to do with mine is move the smaller boat out of the way of the big one so I can get the truck hooked up to one of them, then put the little one back if I am grabbing the big one. Even on the flat it can want to keep moving on its' own as the storage yard is not truly flat everywhere.