Buying Used Trailer - Advice

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here's the deal. Yes, I was a dumb A-- and wrecked my trailer. This is after 30 years of boating, first time this ever happened. Anyway, There a friend of mine who does a lot dealing with another gentlemen that runs a company called Marine Assist (Sort of like a Boat U.S.).

I have a 20'6" Rinker Deep V Hull. The trailer it came with was a single axle (stamped at 3,000 lbs) Adjustable Bunk. The Boat weighs 2950 dry, trailer was 750.

He has a tandem axle (which I wanted from the begining) but it is a roller style. Now, I've read threads on here about the pros and cons, however, I still have questions.

1. Is it true that the roller trailers do not support the boat as well and can damage the hull and keel?

2. Are Rollers generally adjustable? (The trailer is about 5 hours away and I don't have photos yet).

3. The boat that was on the trailer was a deep V 21 foot cuddy, the tongue is adjustable so I believe I can move it back

4. Surge breaks work.

5. Tires good.

My main issue again is switching from a bunk to a roller, never having a roller before. Any advice would be much appreciated.

matt167

Captain
Re: Buying Used Trailer - Advice

There is bunk people and roller people. Personally I think both are good in their own uses... Roller trailers have been around as long as trailer boats have. It is true that rollers can leave depressions in the fiberglass if the boat is land bound for a very long time. Not a big deal for your boat as you actually use it... Roller is good where there is a shallow or power loading restricted launch because a shallow launch just equates to back the trailer in just a bit, and give the boat a good nudge to offload, and if you are not allowed to power launch, cranking is not too hard... Bunks make great storage trailers, but are only really good when you can get them deep enough to float the boat and power it up to retrieve.. Others may disagree but that's my view and I'm sticking to it...

That said, if you want a bunk trailer, Iboats sells the bunk brackets and you can buy 2x6 douglas Fir at a good lumberyard and carpet it to convert the trailer to bunks

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You can buy brackets to change over - not cheap but hardly real expensive either. Buy stainless steel U bolts and only buy them once. I would never have a roller trailer. Yes, they roll the boat on/off but if it is a struggle for you get a power winch made for boat trailers. Rollers leave dimples in fiberglass. If it is a great buy including the change over parts go for it.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Its a tandem and I am getting it for 350.00. I don't want dimples in the glass so I'll probably change it over.

You can buy brackets to change over - not cheap but hardly real expensive either. Buy stainless steel U bolts and only buy them once. I would never have a roller trailer. Yes, they roll the boat on/off but if it is a struggle for you get a power winch made for boat trailers. Rollers leave dimples in fiberglass. If it is a great buy including the change over parts go for it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Count the rollers and divide into your hull weight. For example: My roller trailer has 21 rollers for my 21 foot cuddy. The boat weighs 1600, the engine about 300 and I figure another 200 for battery and fuel. That puts me at 2100 pounds OR 100 pounds per roller. With the rollers spaced at hard points, 100 pounds is not going to dent anything--the boat has been on the trailer for 7 or 8 years with no damage.

Still nervous? add a couple more rollers.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for your response! I don't know the hull weight - I only know the whole boat weight.

NYBo

Admiral

Thank you for your response! I don't know the hull weight - I only know the whole boat weight.
Whole boat weight is what you need! Divide that by the number of rollers.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You needed a stronger trailer anyway. Go for it. The price is right.

I would suggest you get the bearing grease repacked before hauling an "unknown" trailer so far. You don't want any surprises on the way home. (I've been there.)

Nbailey2008

Cadet

There are other questions to consider when buying a used trailer besides whether or not you want rollers or bunks. A cuddy cabin boat will have different weight distribution characteristics than the same length bow rider. This can drastically effect the tongue weight of the rig due to different axle positions. If you have too little tongue weight, your boat will not tow correctly and could possibly be dangerous. Before buying a used trailer, make sure that the axle is positioned so that the tongue weight is approximately 10% of GVWR. Besides that, since the other trailer was designed to fit a different boat, the chines on the bottom of the boat will not be in exactly the same position, so you will likely be required to modify the rollers or change the bunks. Qualification: 20 years engineering boat trailers.