Buying my first boat (kind of)

blk98gt

Seaman
Hey guys, so I gave up on fixing an old old boat and I'm looking at these 3. Want a boat for a little cruising and hanging out but the bank is low on funds. What do you guys think of these:

1. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/boa/1919403686.html
I can get the seats redone pretty cheap but looks like a place that will also charge tax.

2. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/boa/1912406260.html
I like how light on the budget this one is. Thought I would like an inboard but price is right. Anyone know what the dash looks like on these?

3. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/1911577887.html
Love this one but of course the price is steeper. And doesn't 1300 hrs sound like a lot?

Kind of new to this so please help out :)

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying my first boat (kind of)

They all look like pretty decent boats. The Crownline has a bigger motor than the 3.0 in the 2001 SeaRay which alot of people say is a big advantage if you are into skiing and such. But I had a 3.0L and I thought it was fine.

I do like a bow rider with an outboard for all the extra room it gives you not having the engine cover in the boat. Especially when dealing with 18 footers. However he has had the boat since 1996 and says he's the second owner so we dont know really what year the boat and motor are. Motor definitely looks original.

I'd go look at all three in person and get some more information.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Crownline is probably rotted to the core, I like the old SeaRay a lot, the newer SeaRay is too pricey for a well-used 4 banger. A 135HP outboard will be stronger than a 3.0 I/O.

hunter0527

Seaman

I personally like the newer searay... however 1300 hrs is a ton, may want to ask if thats on the boat or motor or both. If boat it may be ok if a new motor was installed. I also like the crownline. if its coming from a dealer im sure it was gone over, floor included. If not get them to inspect EVERYTHING and make sure the seats are the only problem you will get into.

blk98gt

Seaman

More info on the older $3300 sea ray.

"It's an 89. Bought new at Chicago boat show in 90 by 1st owner. He had on a covered lift between 90 -96. I've owned since 96. Taken in/out of my garage on weekends to use between 96-2007, then I bought a lift in 2007 (we live on a lake). Since I've owned, trailer probably has less than 100miles total (I think the tires are original, they look near new).
Well cared for, no problems, runs great. Has a 3 blade stainless steel prop that was balanced about 6 years ago, not a nick on it (our lake is not shallow).Two tune ups since I've had it. I've fogged the engine every year prior to winter storage and drained the tran fluid (no eveidence of water in the fluid). It's a V6 Merc outboard, oil injected (separate oil tank from the gas tank), motor automatically mixes the two.

Power hydraulic steering, power tilt, power trim.

Original stereo (cassette), however, I replaced the speakers (two - 6"), one by the drivers knee and one directly opposite on the passenger side.

No problems, just buying a new boat......."

Pics:

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

RWilson2526

I'm likin' that one....get the motor checked out, check for soft floor and such (but if it really has been stored in a garage for the most of its life you should be good, upholstry looks good so that jibes with the indoor storage claim)

Like I said earlier, I really like outboards on bow riders....you really dont see so many of them.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree, the OB would be the one I would look at first. Sounds like it's been well taken care of - much better than the crownline. Of course, I may be biased as both my boats are OB's :)

Good luck with the decision and remember this is the time of the year that prices become more negotiable!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really great seating layout in that boat as well. In that condition that looks like a nice deal.

RWilson2526

man that looks nice too....only 5 hours left though to decide which is a bummer as you cant take your time to look it over....its nice when there is no reserve though because you usually wind up paying the true market value on an auction like that.

blk98gt

Seaman

man that looks nice too....only 5 hours left though to decide which is a bummer as you cant take your time to look it over....its nice when there is no reserve though because you usually wind up paying the true market value on an auction like that.
I was out bid by some troll with 0 bid history! I will go $4100 high bid and I should be fine. Sounds like a fair price right?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Crownline is probably rotted to the core, I like the old SeaRay a lot, the newer SeaRay is too pricey for a well-used 4 banger. A 135HP outboard will be stronger than a 3.0 I/O.

Are you suspecting the Crownline is rotted because you're assuming the bad upholstery is caused by being left uncovered and therefore water damaged?

I'd say there's not enough info to know if it might be rotten, like anything else I'd go and have a look. Usually that kind of upholstery damage is the result of people using the back seats as steps to get in and out and it's a cheap fix to get them redone.

I like the looks of that crownline and the hours are relatively low for a boat of that vintage. I'd say go and have a look. Tax may or may not be a deal buster because at this time of year everthing to do with boats is HIGHLY negotiable.

BTW, one comment on outboard power is that the big disadvantage to the old two strokers is their massive fuel conumption. To the original poster I'd say if funds are limited, I'd take a a very dim view of outboards because you'll have a boat that you may not be able to afford to use. A big 100+ HP 2 stroke carbed outboard gets miserable fuel economy. My last boat was a 150 HP Johnson carbed and as an all around estimate, I'd say it got 1.5 to 2 MPG on average.

Grouse

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW, one comment on outboard power is that the big disadvantage to the old two strokers is their massive fuel conumption. To the original poster I'd say if funds are limited, I'd take a a very dim view of outboards because you'll have a boat that you may not be able to afford to use. A big 100+ HP 2 stroke carbed outboard gets miserable fuel economy. My last boat was a 150 HP Johnson carbed and as an all around estimate, I'd say it got 1.5 to 2 MPG on average.

Grouse

I second that. I love outboards and will probably not ever own anything else, but last weekend cruising and swimming and tubing and swimming and swimming (trying to make the point half of our time out was sedentary) for a total of 7 hours or so I went through a 100.00 in gas! I never really got into the throttle except maybe twice for a few min each. My 150 will drink gas faster than I can pump it in. On top of that I use synthetic oil at 27.00 a gallon which gets real expensive real quick.
The O/B looks really cool and would be my pick, but the amount spent on gas/ oil each time would have me doing a double take.