Buying my 4 blade.. Need your final opinions!

bwady

Cadet
I am buying at 4 blade SS prop this week. I am still a little confused. I currently run a 3 blade 23p on my Baja Islander 192 5.0mpi. 1.62 gears. WOT is correct. My problem is this: I like these props
1. Turbo 2+2 TH 4 Blade but I can not get a 21p only a 22p or 20P. (So I guess a 22 is the one needed)
2. Stiletto Bay Pro II 4 Blade but I think it is the same situation.. 20 or 22p? Not sure about the Bay Pro III? Is it an option?
3. Solas HR Titan 4 Blade in a 21p.

My goal is holeshot and staying on plane at lower speeds. Not so much on top end. I have decided to cancel on the trim tabs for now and just want to focus on the prop.

I am guessing a 21p is my best best. (I know I have discussed this topic a week or so ago, but Now I am ready to make the purchase and want to hone in on the correct pitch for my need. Does anyone have ideas for me to help?

Thank you!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying my 4 blade.. Need your final opinions!

The Bay Pro II is designed for sterndrives or outboards running relatively deep in the water. The Bay Pro III is designed for running at a little higher X dimension. The Stiletto Bay Pro IIIs and the Turbo Ultimas are the same prop and have great overall lift. The TH has more stern lift.

bwady

Cadet

so will a Baypro3 work on a Baja 192 Islander or it is better suited for a different setup? Also, Turbo prop tells me to try the 22p 4 blade Turbo 2+2th being I use a 23p 3 blade now. However, I want this to be my final prop.. I don't want to keep trying diff. props. Am I going to be happier with a 21p overall????????????

bwady

Cadet

Well... I drove over to Precision Propellers Inc. in Indy and picked up a Turbo 2+2TH 20p prop today. I decided to go with the 20p vs. the 22p becasue of talking with two different prop dealers about my setup and needs. This is a safe bet on what I want to improve. I always have my 3 blade if I want to fly across the lake. By the way... I asked the Mfg. what the diff is between the Turbo and the Stiletto and they told me the Turbo is a "new tooling" prop that they are making and the Stiletto is the "old Tooling". They told me other than that they are the same more or less. They were super nice and installed my hub kit for me while I was there.. I saw the wharehouse and I bet I saw a 1000+ Turbos on the vertical racks and also a bunch of Stilettos on another. But there was way more Turbos than Stilettos.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

Keep us updated

bwady

Cadet

I tested the new prop this weekend... Man am I ever so happy I went with the 20p. It is awesome. I had 9 people in the boat (4 adults and 5 children) and the boat jumps out of the lake and does everything I was hoping for. I even gained some speed on the top end which amazed me. However I know that when I only have a few people in the boat this might change (too many rpms). The rpms got to just shy of 5000 when I ran it hard. My only problem which I do not know if it was related.. is at the end of the day I could hear a faint clakity clang noise when the boat was idling. However there was not performance loss and it seemed to go away when I put it in gear. Not sure if it is a u-joint, gemble bearing, exhaust water shutter, or ???

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Any of your ideas are good suspects for idle noise. I'll also add: Possible shift cable out of adjustment, possible engine knock/ping...

Depends entirely on what exact model drive you have, and what it exactly sounds like (hard to describe on internet)...

Now that your prop problem is solved, I'm sure you'll get better response to your noise problem if you repost your question over in the appropriate I/O forum, for whatever brand of engine you have.