Buying me a Mercruiser (maybe)

oh-u812?

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We've decided to drive up and check out this 1983 17.5' Galaxy Bowrider with a Mercruiser 140. After seeing some more pics of it, it's spotless. It probaby looks like one of Don S or Kagee's old boats. He evidently was a very meticulous man. I guess the guy rebuilt and resealed it in 1995, but I don't know how much runnin it's had since. It's been stored in a garage with a cover on it. I plan on doing a compression, leakdown and pressure checking the drive. I'll be able to try and run it on muffs but I'm not sure I'll be able to put it in the water. My question is what's the procedure for pressure testing this drive? Anything else I should look at while I'm there (even if I can't get it in the water)? Thanks.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying me a Mercruiser (maybe)

I would never buy a boat without testing it in the water....;)

DayCruiser

Ensign
Re: Buying me a Mercruiser (maybe)

I would never buy a boat without testing it in the water....;)

To add to that. A newbie non-mechanic should never buy a boat unless he has read a week or 2 of this forum and then put it in the water so he or she knows what to look for LOL. I wish I had found this forum before I bought my boat, because during the test drive I didn't know the little bit of water in the bildge could have been coming from a bellows leak.